Typhoon H

Old Man

Collision avoidance is there as a basic feature, but the Intel stuff is optional and adds to the price. FPV Guy did an interview with one of the Yuneec reps at CES and has it posted on You Tube. Nice little unit but I'm a lot more interested in their Tornado 920. If I can hang an a6000 under the Tornado I'd be a lot more versatile, and happier, than with another consumer drone. It accepts a GH4 as it is now. OTOH, going to a hex with the new Typhoon was a smart move.

Y0urDaddy

I have had an F550 air frame here at the house for quite a while, but so far I have not had the motivation to get that project off the ground... I will wait a bit and see what the story is with the Typhoon H. I don't really have a consumer type drone right now, just my F450 (unless you consider that a consumer drone). I think the Intel stuff on it looks pretty slick, I may be willing to pay the $$ to play around with it.

I just saw this on CNN, I did not read through all of it yet, need to start cooking now...

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/06/tec....html?iid=ob_homepage_tech_pool&iid=obnetwork

jfro

Aerial Fun
Collision avoidance is there as a basic feature, but the Intel stuff is optional and adds to the price. FPV Guy did an interview with one of the Yuneec reps at CES and has it posted on You Tube. Nice little unit but I'm a lot more interested in their Tornado 920. If I can hang an a6000 under the Tornado I'd be a lot more versatile, and happier, than with another consumer drone. It accepts a GH4 as it is now. OTOH, going to a hex with the new Typhoon was a smart move.

Thing that caught my eye on the Tornado 920 was in addition to the gh4 gimbal, they have licensed the gh4 innards and are making a drone version of the camera with integrated gimbal (CG04) which I am praying will have rc control for basic functions.... If they do that and can bring the weight down, that would be huge! One thing on that if I remember right, is they are a bit optimistic on the flight times.

Old Man

The Typhoon H looks pretty good and has some really great features. One thing I'm uncertain about is whether or not the CGO-3 and gimbal are included in the $1,799.99 price. If it is, Oh My. If not things could get expensive quick. Horizon lists the CGO-3 camera and stabilized tilt gimbal for $599.99. They call what they have a 3 axis gimbal but where I come from it aligns with a two axis in function. General stabilization and tilt. Toss a full three axis gimbal onto that and the price will rise considerably.

Edit,

It does come with the camera and gimbal, but also has some level of FAA no fly lock out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Y0urDaddy

I read there was the FAA lock out. I expect to see that more and more on consumer product (just my feeling, no real data behind it).

I still think it looks neat, waiting to see if it is neat enough to be worth the money in my mind. Almost 2k is kind of a pricey toy.

Old Man

We may need to wait for more detailed info on that FAA lock out. I became aware of it a couple days ago but Yuneec hasn't broken down how theirs will function.

DJI screwed themselves big time by incorporating AirMap as the data provider for their system and it is not even close to accurate in depicting controlled airspace. It greatly expands on what is actually controlled in known areas and incorporates lock outs in areas that are not controlled. They didn't do enough homework to establish what were or were not functional control zones, and are restricting airspace that is not currently restricted based on current aeronautical publications. Worse, their beta release is causing significant issues and there's a suspicion that some or all of the code in the beta release may also be installed in an earlier software upgrade but be lying dormant for the time being.

Short version is I don't see Yuneec, or 3DR for that matter, going that far over the top. Not for now at least. I have no doubt that we'll be seeing some kind of airspace protection software installed in anything that uses a GPS positioning system as things move forward. The manufacturers are thinking they have to do that in order to assure they will be able to continue selling their stuff in this country. Basically paying lip service to a federal agency to provide an appearance of concern for flight safety. However, they aren't cutting back on their video and FC power levels so the stuff they are pimping will still be flown at distances well beyond line of sight. Too much money to be had by retaining the ability to advertise how far out people can record video.