Two way radio for Pilot - Copilot communication

SYNDK8

Skyvokker
I am looking for a small walkie talkie type of setup with preferably cool looking headphones that can be used for ground crew communication. The ones I have seen online are the traditional walkie talkie setups. Anyone come across headphones with everything built in so you dont have wires all over the place. My father was an aircraft engineer and his hearing is shot, I am sure after listening to 8 motors whining in a year or two my hearing will diminish as well over time :upset:

1 - Are there any interference issues I should look into before buying?
2 - I have seen some VHF/UHF sets, is this what people are using?
3 - Is it better to just use two phones or are there interference issues to take note of?

Something light and compact would be ideal. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skysurf

I am also looking for something like this. It seems that the hard part is finding something that allows for open two-way communication without having to use a push-to-talk button every time you want to say something.

/Jesper

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi there

try doing an online search for motorcycle comunications

i had a set some years ago that came with earpiece and mike that you fitted into your crash helmet they were voice activated you could get over the head headphones with mic also

you could adjust the voice activation sensetivety also due to engine noise etc

worth a quick search

keith

plingboot

i was looking at something like THIS - binatone action 950

I think it's possible to spend a fortune on this kind of thing, but these 'seem' to do the trick for a reasonable price.

You need to look out for the 'VOX' function i think, for voice activated communications.

SYNDK8

Skyvokker
Thanks for the tips guys.

If you use a police/military type vest you could neatly hide all the wiring inside and that could be a solution for motorcycle and hand held radio type setups.

I tried to find a router and phone type of solution with apps like Viber or Voxer(push to talk). But this will not work when you travel to different countries as you still would need a internet/data plan.

Hand held radio setups seem to be the only proper solution and you have the option to buy the SIM card ones and use it in foreign countries for calls as well (thats only if they get past customs!). In countries where telecom is controlled by the government they don't allow them in (ie. Middle East).

If only we could use telepathy :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast

Attachments

• bh.jpg
    bh.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 245

Skysurf

That looks really nice! Couldn't find any price information but it looks like it would be quite expensive...

/Jesper