TUrnigy 6S battery cables are HUGE??

hazardpro

Hi all

Just received some new batteries, Turnigy 6s 5000mAh

The cables on them are HUGE (probably about 7mm)

I cant see how I am going to get my XT60 connectors soldered onto them!

Any ideas?

D

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
turnigy or turnigy nano-tech?

what's the motor/esc/weight you're flying? what did they use, 8AWG wire? Zippy does that too, total overkill for most of what we're doing.

hazardpro

Batt is 5.5mm connectors, I use xt60

Run s800 7kg

Anted to know how are people are doing it.

Bar making up additional leads / connections

Bartman

if you're positive you don't ned all that wire, strip it down to a smaller diameter with a pair of wire strippers. Use the 10 slot and it should fit better. tin the wires together before you attach it to the connector and it should be fine.

hazardpro

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Yes 8AWG down the side.

What they are connecting to (S800) has a 3mm cable, so one would think the cables could be downsized?

D

plingboot

I had this problem.

Using wire strippers i removed the outer covering then used a the wire cutters to reduce the inner to an XT60 friendly size. I then made sure that the inner was completely tinned (deep into the cable) and then soldered it to the XT60.

The S800 isn't drawing huge amps, so everything should be fine as the inner is now no thinner than that of the 4 cell 40c packs i use on my other MR's.

Eggbeater

Had same issues before. I really heat up the wire and apply solder making sure it penetrates and covers all around. Then I use a Dremel with sanding drum and reduce the wire diameter down to fit the connector. Not the coolest thing I have done as it effectively reduces the carrying capacity of the wire (8awg becomes 10 etc).

But when you look at the overall scheme of things, isn;t the battery wire and battery first connector really the bottlenek of the whole system? For example, an XT90 is rated at about 90amps. Divide that by 8 motors on an Octo and looks to me like each motor can only draw max 11.25amps (all motors at same time) or the connector could fail. Of course all of this is theory and reality is another thing. It's a multirotor mystery.

Hi Hazardpro, amp carrying capacity of a certain gauge of cable is also very dependant on length, as an example:-
At 14 volts 16 AWG at one meter in length and a 3% loss can carry 13 amps
At 14 volts 16 AWG at 1/2 meter in length and a 3% loss can carry 27 amps
At 14 volts 16 AWG at 1/3 meter in length and a 3% loss can carry 45 amps
So across a very short 16 AWG connector the amperage carrying capacity would go up dramatically.

Regards - bruce

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Hi all

Just received some new batteries, Turnigy 6s 5000mAh

The cables on them are HUGE (probably about 7mm)

I cant see how I am going to get my XT60 connectors soldered onto them!

Any ideas?

D

Well first of all don't use XT60, use XT90 and your issue should be solved. I used XT60 on my 4S packs and with I wouldn't have. Isn't 7mm like 1.5gauge? If that's the case then you're going to need welding connections or maybe car battery terminals :)

AWGDiameterTurns of wire
(no insulation)
Area
(inch)(inch)(mm)(per inch)(per cm)(kcmil)(mm2)
0000 (4/0)0.4600*11.684*2.170.856212107
000 (3/0)0.409610.4052.440.96116885.0
00 (2/0)0.36489.2662.741.0813367.4
0 (1/0)0.32498.2513.081.2110653.5

<tbody>
</tbody>

Taken from here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Had same issues before. I really heat up the wire and apply solder making sure it penetrates and covers all around. Then I use a Dremel with sanding drum and reduce the wire diameter down to fit the connector. Not the coolest thing I have done as it effectively reduces the carrying capacity of the wire (8awg becomes 10 etc).

But when you look at the overall scheme of things, isn;t the battery wire and battery first connector really the bottlenek of the whole system? For example, an XT90 is rated at about 90amps. Divide that by 8 motors on an Octo and looks to me like each motor can only draw max 11.25amps (all motors at same time) or the connector could fail. Of course all of this is theory and reality is another thing. It's a multirotor mystery.

if we're really going to beat this to death then consider the wire is being inserted INTO a sleeve that effectively replaces the wire you've removed bringing it back to the full diameter. the sleeve counts for transfer of electrons, doesn't it? so the net effect of reducing the wire size is zero.