Aeronavics / Droidworx Transport of AD6

Mark Harvey

Dear All,

I have just bought myself a Droidworx AD6 and am hoping someone can provide tips on how best to transport it on an aircraft. I would assume the booms can collapse with some disassembly to reduce the space requirement? Any thoughts on a good sized Pelican case?

Thank you,
Mark

dazzab

I have an Aeronavics XM6 which would be very similar to yours. I took it on an overseas trip inside a Pelican 1740 case which worked fine. All I had to do was remove the outer mount clamps on four of the arms so they could pivot inwards. I'm glad I invested in the case. Although it was put through as oversized luggage, which is supposed to be taken off the plane and taken to a separate area, it came through on the normal luggage conveyor upside down. They really beat the hell out of it. I didn't have any problems flying it at several locations. But I did a test flight without payload when I returned home and sure enough a motor failed. A wire had come loose on the power distribution board. So I'd recommend checking everything very carefully after transport.

I did the right thing and paid the extra fee for excess size ahead of time on my ticket except in Hawaii. When I asked how much extra for it the check in guy looked at it and said they took golf bags about that size all the time without charging extra. So I saved the extra fee on that flight. The Pelican 1740 is just a bit too long to sneak in on most airlines so it did cost me a fair amount to take it with me on an overseas flight.