Transmitter Recommendation

SupremeUppercut

I'm looking for a new transmitter. I'm new to the game, but serious about it.

Looking at the Spektrum DX9, but am seeing a lot about Futaba 14SG. I get the difference in channel count, but am looking for a future-proof (as much as possible) unit.

I'd like something that's versatile enough to go from casual stunting to FPV to aerial cinematography.

Thoughts?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
I'm looking for a new transmitter. I'm new to the game, but serious about it.

Looking at the Spektrum DX9, but am seeing a lot about Futaba 14SG. I get the difference in channel count, but am looking for a future-proof (as much as possible) unit.

I'd like something that's versatile enough to go from casual stunting to FPV to aerial cinematography.

Thoughts?
The DX9 is nice, I went to Futaba for the easy S-bus connection (1 Cable). I love the 14SG, also use the 8FG, which is also a 14 channel when used with S-bus. Not sure if they still offer the 8FG, but it was a heck of a deal since the number of channels and functionality was the same as 14SG, the only difference being in design of the body (14SG feels a bit more substantial). If you're also looking to fly Horizon bind&fly machines, Spectrum may be a better choice.
They both have excellent service (my own experience).
Hope this helps.

The Frsky Taranis is a great radio, especially for freestyle and FPV racing, I'm going to be upgrading my TH9X to a taranis very soon, hopefully I can sniff out a good deal on one at the Wram show next weekend.

maxx4wd

If you ever want to venture outside of multirotors (or get into larger multirotors) then I would suggest the Futaba...it can basically do anything and everything you need and want it to do in the future...the gimbals are awesome and it won't break the bank...

If you just want a radio for smaller multirotors and small park size planes - then a taranis or spectrum would suit just fine...I would tend to tell you to go toward the taranis as it's open source so way more opportunity to get cool features with a little know how.

Personally I fly the 14SG just because I have a little bit of everything - large scale 3d birds to larger multirotors with the small multis sprinkled everywhere in between. With the latest upgrades in radio tech it's really a good time to buy a radio...all the latest offerings are awesome but for me I absolutely hate satellite modules so I'll never own a spectrum - and with such rock solid radio signal from the futabas I don't mind spending the extra money...especially in such a heavy RF region as where I live...

Just make sure you buy a radio that covers your current needs and step up one tier for future growth...I would highly suggest sbus no matter what...single wire installs are the way to go for large birds and micro/mini size quads as well...

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
I agree with @maxx4wd on the Futaba, very universal, very reliable. Racing guys seem to like the Taranis a lot for it's good price and open source UI.

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
For quality and performance Futaba, I mostly fly Giant Scale planes 8k plus and never had one issue with Futaba, you get what you paid for, if you're into tinkering and love to make, making this work as a hobby, you can use the "other" radios.

sinopine

201205031258598ordm0.jpg
Futaba performance is really great, you can not hesitate to say that it is in the multi-axis aircraft industry is a leader. The only regret is that the price is a bit expensive.......;):Do_O

Last edited: