Transmitter help!

Hey guys just wanted to ask you all what your thoughts on the turnigy 9x transmitter combo, do you think it's a good transmitter on the long run or it's an ehhhhh transmitter. I'm asking because I wanted to order it this weekend n before I do that I wanted to see what ya think about it and if it's worth it, thanks for the help!

Happy Flying!!!!

From Daedalus: "If you want to fly bigger models, then the choice between a DX6i and Turnigy 9x becomes relevant. I have the Turnigy (as well as a DX7 to compare with) and can say that it works well and is remarkable value. On the other hand, the instructions are poor, the quality of build is variable, there is very little support, and the programming takes some figuring out. It's not my idea of a good first radio. The DX6i is superior in all these areas -- but it does cost more."

So it depends on which RC vehicle you are and will flying

JCcreative

As far as a long term investment obviously the 9x isnt the way to go. But its definitely the best value out there. Also depends on what you'll be trying to program. If you are trying to program it for a naza flight controller, there are plenty of 9x tutorials that show you what to do every step of the way. As far as long term investments go, get a futaba or a Spectrum. If you want something cheap, get the 9x. Its still a great little radio.

jbrumberg

I have a Fly Sky FS TH9XB Tx. It's a basic 8/9channel radio. It has good range, and it works. It can accommodate different TX-Rx modules and can be upgraded with varying degrees of little difficulty or no difficulty depending on make/model. There are many variations of "Changlish" used in the various owner's manuals available. It is a great value when one looks at cost vs performance. I would not consider it to be a long term investment Tx however.

Thanks guys!!! I guess what I'll do is just get the turnigy 9x for now till I save up for a nice spectrum radio ^_^ all I know is I have to get rid of my hk t6 radio that thing so HORRIBLE!!!! Haha thanks guys again!!!

happy flying!!!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Just don't do it, they are hateful piece of crap.

Anything else will be a better choice.

Pete

jbrumberg

Pete- I have no real disagreement with you when comparing any 9X to the top of the line Tx's. They are not made with the best components or materials, and are not ergonomically designed, but relative to a HK T6 they are a major improvement, just the OSD alone makes it a significantly better Tx for programming. The manual in all its versions is pretty nasty to comprehend. The manual takes some time to figure out. The good thing about the 9X is all the training videos available on the internet that compensate for the manual to a degree.

You have a couple of Tx's if I remember correctly. Someday I will be upgrading Tx's. What is on your short list of Tx's presently? I am curious and I respect your opinion.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you are really limited in cash then maybe a 9XR, otherwise tough it out and save up and get either a Taranis or a used Futaba T8FG for around the same price.

One of my sons struggled with a 9X until I bought him a T8FG, he has never looked back.

Maybe I came over a bit strong but if you want to spend minimal time setting up and maximum time flying then I can't recommend a 9X, no three way switches and limited mixing options unless you want to add new firmware and add extra electronics and pretty quickly the time, effort and money spent will far exceed the basic cost of a Taranis. If you were planning on flying basic planes then the 9X is pretty good value, for MR's not even close.

Cheers

Pete

All I fly is Multirotors I have never flown a plane :( but I'm not playing on it I love Multirotors n I'm sure I'll be sticking to them for a long time, my first love was rc nitro buggys n trucks now I fell in love with flying Multirotors! :)

JCcreative

the 9x does have a 3 way switch. And if you order from HobbyKing theres no need to update firmware. If you can find a used futaba for about 50 bucks, then by all means go for it! But i highly doubt that you will ever find one for that price.
Bottom line in my opinion is if you want a budget radio, go for the 9x, if you want a good radio that you will be able to use for a really long time, save up and buy the T8FG.

the 9x does have a 3 way switch. And if you order from HobbyKing theres no need to update firmware. If you can find a used futaba for about 50 bucks, then by all means go for it! But i highly doubt that you will ever find one for that price.
Bottom line in my opinion is if you want a budget radio, go for the 9x, if you want a good radio that you will be able to use for a really long time, save up and buy the T8FG.
Alright! Like I said before I'm not a pro I'm pretty new at all this so that's why I'm starting with the "cheap" stuff at first, n from my research majority of ppl say the 9x is a good bang for your buck n not really a long term radio I just need a alright radio to learn how to fly my quad with no self level n I want some longer range than what I get on my th6 (worst radio ever!) lol anyways yeah I'm all kinds of confused at the moment :( lol

chipwich

Best bang for buck is the FrSky Taranis hands down. In fact I'm probably getting out of my Futaba gear soon and going all Taranis. Once you've flown with a voice enabled tx it's hard not to have one. The two transmitters you mention are very entry level, and you'll grow out of them soon. The 9x is not bad, but it has low resolution, minimal memory, and just passable build quality. Save your lunch money a little longer and get something that is versatile, powerful, and is really not that expensive compared to the legacy brands.

Best bang for buck is the FrSky Taranis hands down. In fact I'm probably getting out of my Futaba gear soon and going all Taranis. Once you've flown with a voice enabled tx it's hard not to have one. The two transmitters you mention are very entry level, and you'll grow out of them soon. The 9x is not bad, but it has low resolution, minimal memory, and just passable build quality. Save your lunch money a little longer and get something that is versatile, powerful, and is really not that expensive compared to the legacy brands.
oh okay mmmm you think you can provide me with a link to where to order it n so I can check it out, I have never heard of that but that's because I'm so new to this but thanks! You got interested me.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!

Whoops my bad but still a pig of a Tx, I bought my #2 son a T8FG to replace his 9X.

Cheers

Pete