Tough 2.4 Ghz question

iceman17

Hi folks my name is Mike and I have a question regarding my radio. First off I recently built a Flame wheel F550 and installed Naza M with GPS.This is my first ever hexa copter /quad copter of any kind. The other day I was eager to try it out and just after take off I had a runaway, I also had no control at all it would seem, I did do the GPS calibration and all was good. I panicked and flipped the failsafe switch and still nothing, I then chopped the throttle and down it came like a rock. Im sure this was my fault as I did not do a calibration on my transmitter (DX8 with AR8000 RX), it also may have been to windy that day. Anyways I took the 550 to my local dealer and he tweaked a few settings and gave it a test flight with no problems and said it was good to go. I am going to try it again this weekend but I have one concern and maybe it lead to my crash, on my property we have an internet tower set up to deliver high speed internet to us country folk. This is great for me as now I get free high speed for as long as I own my property, the possible downside is it sends out it's signal at 2.4Ghz, the same as my Spektrum DX8 transmitter does. On a side note I also run RC trucks and use a Spektrum DX3 R radio that is also 2.4Ghz , I have no problems with that radio at all and can run all over my property. Does the spread spectrum tech ignore other 2.4Ghz signals or could this be an issue once I get in the air, in other words could the tower be the reason I crashed and now I cant fly in my yard or will my radio just ignore the tower signal and lock on to the receiver only. Sorry for being so long winded but im afraid to take her up again just in case, it flew great at the hobby store but that is over 40 miles away from here. Anyone have any thoughts on this or advise.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
If you are using a low cost, low power 2.4 Ghz parkflyer type radio system, it may not be adequate for line of sight flying costly MRs where there are other 2.4Ghz signals. In particular a high power 2.4Ghz transceiver tower for Internet can become a problem if you fly close to it. Technically these are fhss - free hopping spread spectrum which in theory would allow your RC system to share the same band with other 2.4Ghz fhss systems.....but the more expensive 2.4Ghz systems are more tolerant and more reliant.

Hi folks my name is Mike and I have a question regarding my radio. First off I recently built a Flame wheel F550 and installed Naza M with GPS.This is my first ever hexa copter /quad copter of any kind. The other day I was eager to try it out and just after take off I had a runaway, I also had no control at all it would seem, I did do the GPS calibration and all was good. I panicked and flipped the failsafe switch and still nothing, I then chopped the throttle and down it came like a rock. Im sure this was my fault as I did not do a calibration on my transmitter (DX8 with AR8000 RX), it also may have been to windy that day. Anyways I took the 550 to my local dealer and he tweaked a few settings and gave it a test flight with no problems and said it was good to go. I am going to try it again this weekend but I have one concern and maybe it lead to my crash, on my property we have an internet tower set up to deliver high speed internet to us country folk. This is great for me as now I get free high speed for as long as I own my property, the possible downside is it sends out it's signal at 2.4Ghz, the same as my Spektrum DX8 transmitter does. On a side note I also run RC trucks and use a Spektrum DX3 R radio that is also 2.4Ghz , I have no problems with that radio at all and can run all over my property. Does the spread spectrum tech ignore other 2.4Ghz signals or could this be an issue once I get in the air, in other words could the tower be the reason I crashed and now I cant fly in my yard or will my radio just ignore the tower signal and lock on to the receiver only. Sorry for being so long winded but im afraid to take her up again just in case, it flew great at the hobby store but that is over 40 miles away from here. Anyone have any thoughts on this or advise.

iceman17

Thanks for the reply gtranquilla, my radio is a Spektrum DX8 with AR 8000 receiver. I believe the DX6i is Spectrum's park flier model. The tower is approx. 200 feet away from were I will be flying and it is 100 feet tall if that matters. Since the power source for the tower comes from the breaker box in my work shop I guess I could always flip the breaker and turn it off while flying and cut off the internet to the entire county :highly_amused: on second thought perhaps not. Still it has not effected my RC trucks running a 2.4Ghz system so I guess I will have to bite the bullet and give it a try, perhaps keeping it low for the first little while. Thanks again..........Mike

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
You'll be fine. You already identified your problem. Not calibrating your transmitter first was a serious mistake. Especially not calibrating your throttle.

2.4GHz is pretty robust and your only on each channel for a millisecond as it hops around.

Have fun!

iceman17

Success, I flew the F550 today for the first time with zero incidents, what a relief. It looks like the tower is not going to be an issue after all, mind you I never went over 20 feet high but still I think it will be ok. After having my first flight go horribly wrong with the runaway and crash all I can say is this, attempting to fly again this morning had me as nervous as I had ever been in my life. What ever my hobby shop guy did to the settings worked (thanks Jessie), that and doing the proper calibration on the radio all added up to a nice but nervous flight. I started off in Atti mode and after about two minutes I went into GPS mode, there was a slight breeze and it held it's position quite well. I managed to land softly three times and lift off without incident, I sure didn't have to move the sticks very much to get a response out of the craft. I forgot to set the timer on my radio and after a short while I noticed a rapid red blinking so I landed right away, it was approx. 7 minutes of flight time and I assume the blinking was a low voltage warning. It was starting to drizzle some light rain so I was ok with landing anyways. I am now very pleased with my purchase and build of the F550 and it just proves that when instructions are not followed properly and the flight is rushed nothing but bad things will result. When instructions are followed and time is given to proper flight set-up a good experience is usually the result, lesson learned for me. I cant wait to get up in the air again. Thanks for the help guys. Regards..........Mike