Tom from Sydney

Hi everyone.

Thanks to mattsPVC i am a new member. I have only very little experience with multi rotors and hope to find all i need to get into this awesome hobby.
My first and only multi rotor is a AR Drone which was a lot of fun but hit the limitations very quickly and lost interest.
After reading a lot i decided to get myself a Phantom but wanted to hear from you guys if this is any good for the money. On the other hand after watching Matt's video clips of his home build quad copter i am not so sure anymore.
Please have some mercy when i seemingly ask stupid questions.

General intersests:
- RC cars (HPI Baja) 1/5 scale
- Photography (Canon 5D)
- Electronics
- New technology

Cheers
Tom

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Hi Tom,

Welcome aboard.

Questions are good, it is what keeps forums lively.

The Phantom, no real experience with them but personally I prefer the DIY or at least partly DIY, find a nice frame, work out what bits will do what you want, order the bits, build it and have it fly, rinse and repeat....... modify, upgrade, test, try, adjust.... rinse, repeat....

What exactly do you want to do with your multi?

Cheers.

Pete

homer911

Hi Tom,

I don't have any experience with the phantom but do with the WKM. I have sn octo on a droidworx frame. I am moving to sydney on Thursday do you know any good multirotor meet ups?

Steven

Hi Pete,

thanks for the welcome :)
I prefer DIY as well as i have done the same with my other RC gear. Love tinkering with it. However when i looked at the cost involved between DIY and buy one semi assembled i found only $50 difference. Once i have it there is still a lot of things to try i.e gimbal, FPV. The main use will be to film when we go for holidays and weekend drives. We do a bit of 4x4 driving around the sydney area (Blue Mountains) and want to add some moving pics to the stills. Most of the places are hard to get to, therefore the multi has to be small but big enough to take a GoPro camera.
Once i know how what a good multi requires i will take the plunge and build one myself. Found a few nice looking frames already but need a bit more info before i start.
Anyway will keep on reading and posting with my progress.

Cheers
Tom

DaveH

Hey Tom,

Just found this forum and looking to get something happening in the Sydney area. Let me know what you're up to.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Welcome to the forum first of all. Haven't done much this year as I was waiting for the new T2216 v2 motors which I have now but haven't tested them yet. Keen to go out again as it is not that hot outside anymore.
What are you up to?

Cheers
Tom

DaveH

Hi,

I've been flying a scratch tri with APM locally in Five Dock. Where abouts do you fly? The local ranger seems to be getting more enthusiastic about chasing off the Timbrell Park mainly because its been invaded in numbers by the fixed wing guys, so need to start looking for a plan B .

Dave

Hi,

I've been flying a scratch tri with APM locally in Five Dock. Where abouts do you fly? The local ranger seems to be getting more enthusiastic about chasing off the Timbrell Park mainly because its been invaded in numbers by the fixed wing guys, so need to start looking for a plan B .

Dave

I have a few places to fly depending what I want to do. For testing something new (parts, props and stuff) I go up to Castle Hill show ground or the sports field next to it during the day. Most of the time nobody is there. Fagan park up at Glenorie is good too during the week for filming or just flying. Weekends is hard to fly there because of the amount of people. Blackman park in Lane Cove is good too if you don't mind dogs running around (over run by dog lovers which leave droppings everywhere :upset:) but otherwise good and quiet.

Hi Tom,

I don't have any experience with the phantom but do with the WKM. I have sn octo on a droidworx frame. I am moving to sydney on Thursday do you know any good multirotor meet ups?

Steven

Hey Steven.

Did you ever make it to Sydney and if you did what are you up to? Found any guys to fly with yet?

Cheers
Tom