Tigermotors MT2216 problem

AEA737

Hello everyone.

I took my hexa with me to film while on vacation. I flew a lot, very happy for bringing it for early morning and evening flights.

While assembling the props back one of them just fell on my hand as the three M2 hex bolts that told the shaft of the motors where broken.
I decided to take a look at the rest of the motors and only two had the three bolts intact! Some of them where only holding the shaft only by one bolt.
The problem now is to remove the broken part of the bolt that´s inside the motor. How can I do that? Is it better to send them somewhere to be serviced?

Thanks,

Javier

View attachment 13617View attachment 13618View attachment 13619View attachment 13620View attachment 13621

Attachments

• TigerMotor Sep 13 001R.jpg
    TigerMotor Sep 13 001R.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 300
  • TigerMotor Sep 13 003R.jpg
    TigerMotor Sep 13 003R.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 292
  • TigerMotor Sep 13 006R.jpg
    TigerMotor Sep 13 006R.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 247
  • TigerMotor Sep 13 010R.jpg
    TigerMotor Sep 13 010R.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 272
  • TigerMotor Sep 13 011R.jpg
    TigerMotor Sep 13 011R.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 537

Hi AEA, this is very small stuff, you may want to try an easyout, a small centre punch to mark the centre of the screws, a small drill to drill a hole into the centre of the broken screw, then use an easyout to unscrew the broken off bit and remove it from the motor. Next time throw away the cheap chinese socket head screws and buy some good quality cap screws from engineering supplies.
regards - bruce
P.S. you could also try a left handed drill bit to see if that will budge the screws enough so you can remove them.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I can only assume you did not locktite these screws, if you did I want to know what type so that others can be warned not to use the same stuff, cos it definitely is not the right stuff.

Pete

AEA737

I can only assume you did not locktite these screws, if you did I want to know what type so that others can be warned not to use the same stuff, cos it definitely is not the right stuff.

Pete

Why do you assume I did not loctite those screws? I always use genuine Loctite 242 on metal to metal, like the case. Does Loctite make a difference on cheap metal?

Javier

AEA737

Hi AEA, this is very small stuff, you may want to try an easyout, a small centre punch to mark the centre of the screws, a small drill to drill a hole into the centre of the broken screw, then use an easyout to unscrew the broken off bit and remove it from the motor. Next time throw away the cheap chinese socket head screws and buy some good quality cap screws from engineering supplies.
regards - bruce
P.S. you could also try a left handed drill bit to see if that will budge the screws enough so you can remove them.

Thanks Bruce and Chimmy. I don't have the precision drill to do that and probably will cost more than 4 new motors;-(. I have contacted TigerMotors to see if they have some kind of service centre somewhere. I´ll try my LHS tomorrow also.

Javier

Last edited by a moderator:

AEA737

I´ve been exchanging some emails with Tigermotors and they have offered me to repair the motors for 16.5 USD a piece + 31 USD shipping. I´m going to take it and have the motors repaired by the factory instead of breaking one or two by me trying to pry out the screws.
I´m happy with Tigermotors, but I will replace those new screws!

Javier