Tiger 4012 340KV motors on a 5.6kg Hexa - 14" APC SF, MR and 15" APC EProps -feedback

jhardway

So I recently decided to change out my Tiger 3515 400KV with Tiger 4012 340KV motors, I did this mainly I was not happy with the results of the bearing set I had in my 3515. Out of the 6 motors I originally purchased I had one mysteriously burn out, and 3 other motors had bearings start loosening horizontally (Left, Right movement), Since then I replace the bearing and in one of the motors I added a boca #5 bearing set.

In any case I replaced the hexa with a new motor set (4012 same on my Octo copter), and here are the results I am getting with the different motors.

My copter's layout:

Total Takeoff Wieght:
5.6KG / around 12LBS.​
Frame -Tarot T810: with a modified top where I added a battery tray, mostly to be able to add protection for the flight controller if needed. I also added an added bottom level where I decided put the ESC's.

ESC's:
Maytech Opto 40's
RCTimer NEX Gimbal: -
Doing a much better job then I thought it would.
Camera :
Sony RX100
Battery: GensAce 6s 5300 mha -
getting over 9 min flight time, on one battery.​
Flight Characteristics with different Props.
Over all one of the things I did find is that the copter flies a little smoother with the 400 KV motors then the 340 KV's, I believer that is directly related to the ESC and the motors ability to adjust. Because the motors rotation speed, per volt, is slower on the lower KV, The motors ability to accelerated and decelerate does not accommodate as much in range as it does with 400KV's, this result makes a difference for the motor to compensate in FC attitude. I have not changed the ESC but I know its running in 8htz mode, I am wondering if I change that over to a 16htz mode if that would help some. If anyone reads this far into the post and knows the answer please chime in with your take.

Flight time:
Between the two motors I was able to gain another 30 seconds of what I consider safe flight time. With the 400 kv I was running a 9 min safe flight time, and with the 340kv motors I am now running 9.5 min safe flight time.

While flying:
I did notice that a lot of the copters attitudinal shifting change dramatically, but as I started to ad weight to it. The Heavier the copter the better the flight stability comes, Don't get me wrong at 5.6 the copter can fly fine, it just becomes better and more stable as weight is added (that's a good thing for a heavy lift).

14" APC Slow Flyer Prop set. -
I think over all the copter is flying best with these props, its not necessarily because of the props but more to the weight thrust ratio. With these props seem to be getting much better flight characteristic on the copter over all stability. I find my gains to be much lower then what is needed with the other two prop sets. The copter was also the loudest with this set and that is because of the flex in the props as the lift up they will slap the air as the flex load reduces.​

Flight Time
:
9.5 min
Battery Usage:
4250 mha
Copter Take off Weight:
5.6kgish
14" APC Multirotor Prop set. - I decided to try these props out by what I was reading how they were a cross between the e props and Slow Flyers, they have a less prop surface and more bite then the SF set. While at the same time they have more Prop Surface and less bite then the e prop set. Along with those characteristics there hubs where thicker then the SF and they are also made out of Stiffer plastic. For the price they are a good deal and I found all the props fairly balanced out of the package.​
Flying wise I had to up my gains but that did not seem to cause much problems the only time I did not like the way things flew was when I was bringing the copter down at a faster pace. I found it has a hard time compensating its adjustments, caused by inadequacies of flying through the copter own vertices (self disturbed air). This is also a situation with the props big bite and adjustment increments. If you add 2 lbs to the copter again the characteristics shrinks down for the adjustment become more manageable to the situation.

Flight time was the same but the mha used is up a little, that cause the props are heavier, which in turns the motor needed a little more amps to turn them.

Flight Time: 9.5 min
Battery Usage: 4320 mha
Copter Take off Weight: 5.6kg

15" APC E - Prop set. These props are also very nicely built, I was actually surprised although I did not know what to expect. I feel they are fairly compatible to the Graupners, like the Graupners they are stiff, with a large, thick hub, and they were very will balanced out of the package. If you take the two prop and put them side to side, I am very comfortable using the APC's, they are about half the price then Graupners.

Flying wise at 5.6 kg's it was very hard to keep the copter stable, this is also directly related to the thrust being produce, when I added 3 more lbs the copter was fine but to me I was more impressed in the copter's ability to manage the weight. If I was going to put two batteries (10500 mha), and a big camera on this copter then these are the props to use, with that configuration I feel the copter would be around 7.2kg and possibly get around 14 - 15min.

Out of these compared props, these are the heaviest and it takes some amps to turn them, this is where these bigger size motors start to kick. If you look at the mha's these props used the most.

Flight Time: 9.5 min
Battery Usage: 4490 mha
Copter Take off Weight: 5.6kg

A quick breakdown - With these motors and props I would use them as such. 14" APC SF I would say they are good for a copter 5.4kg up to 6.3kg and probably more I just have not done much testing in those weights.

The 14" Multirotor props I would say they are good for copters from 5.6 - 5.8kg up to 7.0kg (again a guess mostly because I have not put that much weight on the a Hexa copter before)"

The 15" E-Props this would be good with a copter takeoff weight of 6kg and up, over.

I am no sure if I make sense here but Since I did the change and I was going thought the motions of testing out props I thought I would pass on what I observed.

I am interested in hearing what others may have to say about the topic.

Fly well my friends.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm trying to decide between 400kv and 340kv motors so appreciate your taking the time to document your findings on the 4012/ 340kv motors.

You didn't mention anything about heat but I'd guess at 12lbs, heat wouldn't be much of an issue....

I'm currently flying x8 in 12-14lbs range which has killed my flight time and is probably stressing the motors a bit on 2814 Avroto's when at 14lbs.

From one of your earlier threads last spring, I've pondered over the 330 vs 340 vs 400kv in the mn4014 and 4012 series. I wish there had been more dialog in that thread. Complicated my situation is that I am not sure if I want to keep the x8 config or drop back to a 850mm hex.

Upgrading to 6s batteries and the 3012's on my x8 will bring my AUW to 15lbs running 2 of the Gensace 6s batteries that you are running. May update to a 3rd axis on my gimbal someday which would add another 1-2 lbs (best guess).

SleepyC has hex's with the 330kv motors running in the 12-13 min range with 17-19 lbs and 2x 6000 6s batteries. Those numbers make a good case for the heavier weight that I'd get if I updated to a third axis on the the gimbal. But I'm thinking the 4012's on the x8, might be good in to the 15-19lb range My dilemma is the XAircraft controller I bought and the possibility that it flies better as a quad or hex than the x8 config. If I could count on a firmware upgrade in next 90-120 days, I'd stay with the x8.

I'd be interested in seeing your handling and flight time info if you added another 2 lbs to your hex if you ever feel like experimenting.

Anyway, thanks for the details on your upgrade.