Thoughts, Opinions on upgrading to a decent DSLR platform

zinkracer

Trying to decide to up my game. Doing mostly local event and real estate work. Using pretty common DJI P2 platform now with Hero3 Black, H3-3D gimbal, Immersion VTX, Fatshark Attitude and sometimes Black Pearl 7" LCD. Have both DJI TX and Futaba T8J.

Would like a more professional camera and steadier aerial platform. Doesn't even have to be new equipment. Will keep the P2 for backup.

Willing to spend up to about (gulp) $10K. Is this practical? What might you recommend based on your experience? Note - I live in the mountains of western NC and most of my flying entails some risk due to terrain. realize that I will need a better charger and more batteries and know these are not cheap.

Thanks for your thoughts!

John Gaither
Blowing Rock, NC

jfro

Aerial Fun
Ronan's suggestion is a good and cost effective option. Certainly keep you way under 10k.

For the mountains, I'd also consider an x8. I've never had a hex, but I've read enough to think that redundancy is not always a given, although I don't have any idea what the key to success is there. I do know that redundancy on an x8 is a pretty simple.

Unless you want to buy the most expensive stuff pre-built, I can not imagine spending 10 grand if you have a little skill in working with a soldering iron and various tools. It's almost a must in regards to maintenance so I always suggest to just dive in and build.

PCMAerial

Trying to decide to up my game. Doing mostly local event and real estate work. Using pretty common DJI P2 platform now with Hero3 Black, H3-3D gimbal, Immersion VTX, Fatshark Attitude and sometimes Black Pearl 7" LCD. Have both DJI TX and Futaba T8J.

Would like a more professional camera and steadier aerial platform. Doesn't even have to be new equipment. Will keep the P2 for backup.

Willing to spend up to about (gulp) $10K. Is this practical? What might you recommend based on your experience? Note - I live in the mountains of western NC and most of my flying entails some risk due to terrain. realize that I will need a better charger and more batteries and know these are not cheap.

Thanks for your thoughts!

John Gaither
Blowing Rock, NC

I shoot AP work and reside in NC as well. I'd say for the market and way things are moving now, you truly can't go wrong with the Zenmuse/GH4 gimbal setup, on a multitude of different rigs. You can come out well below $10k with some change to spare. Stick to popular brands like DJI, Xaircraft, Cinestar, Skyjib, and there are a ton of others. This helps with support while building. Options are endless with the way this tech is moving

And if you're ever looking to fly some around NC let us know. Always aiming to partner up with like minded individuals!