This might be" the [drone] you're looking for."

Old Man

The concept is sound, although the depiction of a Yuneec Typhoon is a bit misleading. The concept of sense and avoid has been heavily pursued by a few high end research groups, with their efforts thus far quite successful, but very expensive for the ones that function well. The problem that still exists in a dense forest environment is frequency attenuation. Unless a frequency band is used that does not quickly become useless due to dense foliage and other obstructions there's still no means to make use of what a multirotor "sees" for the operator. Unless such a frequency is used the multirotor is pretty much flying autonomously and recording video for review after returning to the launch point. To do that it needs a pretty sophisticated FC that is bulletproof with flight plan functionality. Not really all that large of a problem but the frequencies that can do what is needed all use some pretty large antennas and fairly heavy transmission units.

ProfEngr

I noticed after I posted this that the MRF news bot had already linked to a similar article a few days ago.

What I noticed mainly was the "high speed" run was a straight :rolleyes:o_O line. Not much of a challenge, IM(ns)HO. It was funny to watch the obstacle avoidance. Seems it needs some PID tweaks to alleviate some of the herky-jerky nature. Can you say... Squirrel! I'll give them credit for getting the sensory inputs integrated. Now if they can just get it to move away from the 'curtains' when the prop-wash sucks them up.