Things I Learned From My First Build

FLJim

I just finished my first build on a quad 250 frame. Here are a few tips for anyone new to building that I hope will save you a little time.

1. Motors and Rotation - Learn how this works for your multi-rotor before you build. There are a few reasons why this is important. First, it will affect where you position your motors on your quad. You should be using 2 motors that will spin clockwise, and two that will spin counter clockwise. The hubs for these motors will be different so that they will auto-tighten themselves. I suppose you could use 4 motors that are all the same, but if you do, make sure the hubs are tight and maybe use threadlock. Second, knowing for sure where the motors will be used on your quad will let you better plan your wiring. I had to re-solder 2 of my motors on my PDB to keep my wires clean after I realized where they needed to be mounted.

2. Don't hard mount anything until you are done with your build - While you will want your motors well mounted during setup, wait to threadlock or ziptie things until you are just about done with your build. In my case I needed to take part of my frame apart to get everything mounted and then didn't put the top plate back on until I was finished with everything. Also, I waited to really tidy everything up until after my first few flights. Use velcro if you can at first, just make sure everything is well mounted, and all wires are clear of the props, before you fly the first time.

3. Get out of the prop wash - When starting to fly your quad you will want to take it easy. However, once you are comfortable that the platform is working properly get it a foot or two off the ground. When you are bouncing on the ground it will not fly as stable because it is fighting to level in the prop wash.

4. Learn as much as you can! - Maybe this should be number 1, but learn each of the components of your build before you start into them. It took me watching several different videos to get my head wrapped around the motors and rotation, how the receiver and Flight Controller would be connected and how everything got powered. I was building on a common platform so there was a lot of information out there. Take the time to learn!

My first build was a lot of fun. I can't wait to start flying it more and tuning it. I hope these tips help you find your first build to be as much fun as mine!

Eggbeater

Some good beginner tips. For temporary attachment of wires, etc. until you can clean up and zip-tie, I use narrow Velcro straps cut to short lengths. Not extremely tight fasteners but good enough for the interim.

Advise use of Liquid Tape wherever to seal out moisture and corrosion. I've coated entire circuit boards that were not easily shrink-wrapped. Just be aware it is somewhat hard to get off if you need to do repairs but not that bad.

Also, I tend to wrap long wires (i.e. ESC to MC) around a thin metal dowel to produce a shorter coiled wire. Looks nicer and takes up less space. Easier to trace too.