The Wonders of Our World_DJI Worldwide Landscape Aerial Video Collection With Reward

DennyR

It is interesting, even if you don't win they still have you're material to distribute anywhere. I make a living from distribution of video clips and a typical fee for 10-15 seconds of the right kind of aerial footage is around 1000-3000 usd. but could be considerably more. So anything that you submit could be sold on for years to come. Anything that you submit, would I assume, be of high enough quality or why bother, so you are giving stuff away. It would almost certainly prevent you from using your own material in another agency who will require exclusivity. If all you ever want from life is a few vimeo/youtube moments of glory then go ahead - give your stuff away if thats all it's worth..

Last edited by a moderator:

swisser

I don't really understand the fuss about them requiring copyright of submissions. It's up to them, right? And it's up to you to us if we enter or not. Yes the footage is worth something, but so is the "prize" they give you if you win; it's up to you to decide if that trade is worth it.

It's a competition. If you don't like it, don't enter.

CrashMaster

I don't really understand the fuss about them requiring copyright of submissions. It's up to them, right? And it's up to you to us if we enter or not. Yes the footage is worth something, but so is the "prize" they give you if you win; it's up to you to decide if that trade is worth it.

It's a competition. If you don't like it, don't enter.
You are absolutely right no one has to submit work, but you are giving your right to use the footage yourself too. As China has no copyright law they can steal and distribute your work anyway but this time they are asking you to give it up free and use it any way they want without compensation for you even losing the right to show it or use it yourself.
If they want footage they should pay someone to go and get it but no they want you to give it up free.

If I were to post a competition to do the same so I could sell your footage all over the world for millions of pounds you would tell me where to get off.... so why not tell DJI to do the same?

Arrow-Eye

I think everyone has their own right to accept or reject any risk, use their videos as exchange......
At least, nobody can force me to do any aerial filming if i don't agree or too risky.

swisser

You are absolutely right no one has to submit work, but you are giving your right to use the footage yourself too. As China has no copyright law they can steal and distribute your work anyway but this time they are asking you to give it up free and use it any way they want without compensation for you even losing the right to show it or use it yourself.
If they want footage they should pay someone to go and get it but no they want you to give it up free.

If I were to post a competition to do the same so I could sell your footage all over the world for millions of pounds you would tell me where to get off.... so why not tell DJI to do the same?

I think you're missing my point. You don't have to give up the rights to your footage and you don't have to let them publish your work - just don't enter the competition! If you want a chance to win, enter.

Tstrkie,

Would you send your email address to us so that we can know when you send the application form, and your detailed shooting schedule, scripes and locations about your filming?
We don't receive any update about your experience below until you post here.

"So there I was about to launch my s800 from the south rim lodge of the grand canyon when a park ranger ask me WTF I was doing. I went on to explain this contest being held by DJI and the cool rewards I could get if I just flew my hex over the canyon. Court dates next month, wish me luck!"

Arrow-Eye

So there I was about to launch my s800 from the south rim lodge of the grand canyon when a park ranger ask me WTF I was doing. I went on to explain this contest being held by DJI and the cool rewards I could get if I just flew my hex over the canyon. Court dates next month, wish me luck!

Why you said "I went on to explain this contest being held by DJI and the cool rewards"?
You're also attracted and target to the cool rewards, right? You made your decision, and you must negotiate well before your filming.
As MY team (only 4 people) did lots of aerial videos for real estate, sports, concert, viewspots......, we always talked to them first is basic!

Anyway, my people don't produce any shot for anybody esle, we do it for ourselves, 'cause we afford the risk, time, trafic, hotel, eating cost.....
And we head the filming location, not DJI, not MK, not ZeroUAV, not Align to force us to be there.
Just my 2 cents, good luck!

tstrike

pendejo grande
Tstrkie,

Would you send your email address to us so that we can know when you send the application form, and your detailed shooting schedule, scripes and locations about your filming?

No, no I won't.

Arrow-eye, are you a creation of dji too, like the naza and the wkm?
Dji, please advise, how get permission from national park service for purpose of filming multirotor footage when it not allowed? Dji, please advice how to get permission granted to fly over Hoover Damn with multirotor like suggested on rules and regulation page?
I'm sure you guys will get lots of free footage from guys who are willing to cowboy up (it's an American term for doing what you have to do) to enter your contest but maybe you dji guys could spend more time answering questions about your products than trying to convince someone to break the law or jump through red tape hoops for the benefit of your company.

Arrow-Eye

I use dji, just like you, but dji Ace One was very helpful to my job for the past two years, althought crash happened at times to me as well.

CrashMaster

I think you're missing my point. You don't have to give up the rights to your footage and you don't have to let them publish your work - just don't enter the competition! If you want a chance to win, enter.
I didn't miss the point.. and I won't be entering either. My work is mine unless somene pays fully for it.

swisser

I didn't miss the point.. and I won't be entering either. My work is mine unless somene pays fully for it.

Fair enough. It's your choice, right? So back to my original point, I am not sure what the problem is.

Mind you, it's a good job the people that wrote the software you're using for this forum had a different view about their work. And the web server. And the operating system. And the database that drives it. I'm being sarcastic of course, though I think it's worth remembering that there can be be benefits to not charging for certain things. In this case, I suppose, it's the prizes on offer, which for some people make it worthwhile.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
is there even going to be a prize

when you read " may provide you with "

this leaves it totaly open in my thinking just the mention of and no deffinate " the winner will receive "

still seeing is believing i supose if and when a winner is actualy found

also i wonder how many people that dont even own a s800 wookong and z15 entered by just googling a couple of pics of one and saying it was the setup they used etc

it all sounds a bit sketchy when read through a few times

still each to their own what ever floats ya boat

keith

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
DJI need to offer payment for any material they use, simple as that. But we know they will not, they want you to buy their product (EXPENSIVE PRODUCT) and supply them with the material to make their product look good. Which is a win win situation for them, all they have to do is find someone to edit the video.... anyone want to do that with a "May provide you with" attitude?

CrashMaster

Everyone should send in their videos with their crashes.
Brilliant... I may be inspired to start a website 'DJI Inspired Crashes' People can upload their videos and 'may' get a prize for the best shots while I sell the pics around the world....

15crewdawg

Fair enough. It's your choice, right? So back to my original point, I am not sure what the problem is.

.... In this case, I suppose, it's the prizes on offer, which for some people make it worthwhile.

First, it's very poor business practice to entice your customers to perform acts which are illegal. DJI is only wanting to get free advertising for their products at the expense of it's customers. It's called fleecing.

Second, DJI is not offering guaranteed prizes. They are only offering the possibility of a prize. And only to a few. And there is not really any mention of how the entries will be judged or who will be judging them. I,e, what is the criteria being used?

It is a total WIN, WIN for DJI. They receive numerous high quality video entries that they now have sole rights and ownership to. With no compensation to the people who did the actual work. Only the suggestion that those who send DJI their work might receive some free products. Maybe.
DJI can then use those video clips for whatever purposes it wants, such as advertising to promote their products, at no cost to them. A huge savings in advertising dollars for them. Reputable companies pay large amounts of $$$ for this type of advertising media.

Yes, you can decide to just not enter. But the point is they shouldn't be doing this in the first place. It is UNETHICAL.
It would be like Ferrari asking it's customers to film themselves and their cars driving high speed on public roads and highways so that Ferrari can use the shots in their next commercials.
The company assumes no liability and no monetary investment and receives huge benefits.

If I have cinema quality footage of the Hoover Dam or Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon, I'm not going to give it to DJI on the outside chance I MIGHT get some free products. I'm going to sell it to National Geographic or The Discovery Channel or something for a large sum of money. Enough to buy the products DJI is offering at least 10 times over.