The Power Of Facebook!

parkyi

Well it's been a hectic day! Working from 8.30am until 1.30pm on overtime! Then I though I would have a little flying practice with my DJI F450, with newly fitted LED strips to help with orientation. It was a little windy today, but kind of ok and I was handling it ok too, until a sudden gust of wind which blew it in to a tree!. It was stuck maybe 20ft up the tree!, luckily my tree climbing skills from my younger days came flooding back to me and within seconds i was jumping up and down on a branch trying to free the Quad, firstly my GoPro fell off and hit the ground, then after a little more aggressive branch shaking the Quad fell to the ground, there was a cracking sound when it hit the floor, this luckily was just the undercarriage I had fitted to it, so no big deal (£12).

After this I checked the Quad and everything apart from the undercarriage was fine.

So I continued to fly, it was a very cold day and we've had some snow lately. I had my ski gloves on and I think that may have contributed to me losing control, I think I put far too much throttle on and it shot up, the wind got a hold of it, then I couldn't determine which way around it was, even with the new LED's to help me with orientation!. Anyway it was off over the housing estate where I live, don't have anyway of knowing how high it was, but it was very small in the sky. It went out of site and I thought, that was that.

I went home, posted on Facebook that I'd lost the Quad and was gutted :-(

I started looking round the house for things I could sell on eBay to raise money for a new one, thinking this time I'm getting the GPS too!

Then a friend of a friend posted that he'd found an unusual item in the bushes of a local park whilst walking his dog, he walked around the park for an hour with it trying to find the owner. He did some googling and youtubing and discovered it was a Quadcopter.

Anyway, long story short, I got in touch with him and arranged to pick it up. I can't see any damage on it at all and everything seems fine and still intact.

I'm amazed with the amount of houses around the area that it managed to land in the park, checkout the estimated route it took, Ive done a little pic using Google Earth and Photoshop.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1195236626366.439615.591891365&type=1&theater

I'm amazed at the power of Facebook too! See it does have a use!!!

I'm a happy chap again now and am Definitely getting the GPS module for it this week!!!!!!

Hartz

Herpaderpinator
Wow, you are one lucky bastard!

Make sure you familiarise yourself with the differences between failsafe (in the Naza) and preset failsafe (in the receiver). Get that bad boy returning to home on signal loss.

parkyi

I'm assuming I need the GPS upgrade to do any kind of return to home???

I'm going to get one this week I think after todays little episode! :)

Faffer

You sound very lucky and I am only starting but the GPS is on the list .. its just hitting the starting cost but I can see it will help if there are any problems GPS and Fail safe to get it home

You defo need to get the GPS and enjoy the extra it brings .. and saves ...

Richard

Wow great story. I can't believe you dodged a few bullets you better not pressure luck!

One question how in the world did it stay in the air that long to cover so much distance? Did you keep the transmitter throttled up for a long time after it was out of you? How strong was the wind!?!

parkyi

Yeh, I left the throttle about half way for about 10 mins after I lost sight of it, wasn't sure what to do, I thought if I just turn the TX it might drop out of the sky and I was worried because of all the houses around.

The wind didn't seem too bad on the ground, but did blow the MR around a bit, I guess the wind was a little stronger higher up. Incidentally the elevation from where I took of was took off 334ft and where the copter landed it's 518ft.

Yeh, I left the throttle about half way for about 10 mins after I lost sight of it, wasn't sure what to do, I thought if I just turn the TX it might drop out of the sky and I was worried because of all the houses around.

The wind didn't seem too bad on the ground, but did blow the MR around a bit, I guess the wind was a little stronger higher up. Incidentally the elevation from where I took of was took off 334ft and where the copter landed it's 518ft.

That's a hell of a lucky escape. I use a great free App called 'windalert'
Great for getting accurate idea of how the wind is near you.

Cheers Jim

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk HD