The Old Zenmuse GH2/Nex-5 thing...

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a Panasonic GH2 tomorrow as I plan on building an S800 with Zenmuse with a view to videography. I understand the GH2 is much more versatile and capable of upgrading (hack) to outperform the Nex-5 in video results.

Am I right? Is the GH2 much better than a Sony Nex-5 for filming? I had my heart set on an Nex-5 and didn't even consider the GH2 until I did a quick comparison and videographers love the GH2.

And what lens works with the GH2 Zenmuse? DJI states 16mm for the Nex-5 but nothing for the GH2, did I miss it?

Cheers!

DennyR

I cant say that I have really seen much of a difference myself, the Nex-7 is capable of quality results in the right hands. I think the new Panasonic DMC TZ40 is going to start a revolution into even smaller and lighter cameras that have image quality that goes beyond what most people will ever need. The 5 axis stabilized 40x zoom lens and the WiFi control make it outstandingly better than a GoPro3 and for much less money. I'd put money on the full AVCHD video out being better than a GH-2 or at least as good. Mainly due to the lens. It even corrects for level horizon. This camera could make even a PH look good.

Benjamin Kenobi

Thanks! So Nex-7 compared to GH2, both in the same price range. I love the look of the Sonys and they would be great for my wife to use when I'm not. The GH2 has a real camera look to it but is quite heavy in comparison.

I'm really concerned with video results. I would like higher frame rates and high quality.

With the Zenmuse I would be restricted to the Sony Nex-5/7 or the Panasonic GH2. I've read equally good reviews of all but the GH2 seemed to be the standard that the others were judged against and it faired really well against more expensive cameras.

I saw MombassaFlash used one on his Zenmuse and wondered on his thoughts also.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Bejamin, besides the quality questions, there is one major set back to the GH2 when it comes to aerial work. If you want a downlink the GH2 will only record in 1080I or 1080P24. No 720p50/60 is possible at the moment you hook up a HMDI cable to it. And the AV output won't work during recording !

I personally prefer the GH2 just like the outcome more, but that just subjective and the way i see it.

But maybe you should wait a little the Zenmuse will come out for the GH3 and the GH3 does 1080P50/60 and will not choose its own formate once a HDMI cable is hooked up to it ! If you want to go for a GH2/GH3

Boris

azure

But maybe you should wait a little the Zenmuse will come out for the GH3 and the GH3 does 1080P50/60 and will not choose its own formate once a HDMI cable is hooked up to it ! If you want to go for a GH2/GH3

Boris, is there any talk of when the GH3 version might become available?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
yes not official, but probably one should still call it rumors. There will not be a update for the zenmuse 15/gh2 to take the GH3, but a new GH3 version

Since in a few weeks time a lot of new brushless gimbals are comming to market I would advice against making a purchase right now.

Benjamin Kenobi

Since in a few weeks time a lot of new brushless gimbals are comming to market I would advice against making a purchase right now.

Such as? I don't plan on getting the gimbal part until May this year so my options will be open till then. I thought I'd start with the camera.

Of course price is a factor, well, when isn't it? The Nex-5 with 16mm is a nice £600 which doesn't seem too bad. Nex-7 with 16mm is £900. That's as high as I'd like to go right now. GH2 is also around £900 I think. Please correct me on these prices. I have overestimated slightly.

Bejamin, besides the quality questions, there is one major set back to the GH2 when it comes to aerial work. If you want a downlink the GH2 will only record in 1080I or 1080P24. No 720p50/60 is possible at the moment you hook up a HMDI cable to it. And the AV output won't work during recording !

I personally prefer the GH2 just like the outcome more, but that just subjective and the way i see it.

Boris

Boris, I'm also more concerned with the outcome. The downlink doesn't bother me as yet. I will probably fly with a 600TVL FPV cam and a 5.8GHz tx to begin with. So no downlink at all in full HD with the GH2 eh? Shame.

Well, after another day dredging the forums and Google I'm more inclined towards my original choice of the Sony Nex-5. Price mainly. I do still have my heart set on an S800 and Zenmuse as well.

So, anyone want to defend the GH2? It is videography I plan on doing rather than stills. I don't get the impression the Nex-5 and Nex-7 perform any better in terms of video results, am I wrong? Does the GH2 produce better quality video? I'm looking for smooth panning shots with no stuttering and fast action with lots of detail. The Zenmuse GH2 gimbal is a little more accommodating which may be of benefit later in the game also.

Again, thanks for taking the time!

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
no misunderstanding there is a downlink via HDMI output ---- Hdmi convert to AV to VTX, but you will only be able to record in 1080p24 or 1080I, 720p50/60 on the Gh2 will not work the moment you hook up a HDMI cable.

Red is right.

Photohigher coming out soon with their HALO gimbals. several gimbals on the Alexmos approach brushless drive are coming out. Second project on brushed motors it coming out etc.

Probably a good time to wait !

Boris

Benjamin Kenobi

Hey There,

Ended up with the Sony Nex-5. Went to the Sony shop and they sold it for £600 without the 16mm lense. Across the road (Tottenham Court Road) they had one for £370 with the 16mm. Couldn't stretch to the Nex-7 or a GH3 (when it comes in stock) as they were three times the price and I still need the expensive bits like an S800-WKM, Zenmuse (will wait till May in-case any new fangled gimbal pops up) and a new transmitter as I have a DX7s and I'd like quite a few more channels in the future. And the rest!

Speaking of Transmitters, I'm a little torn between a couple of transmitters. I've been a Spektrum man for over three years. I really like the Futaba 14SG. I'm also considering the Spektrum DX10t (tray transmitter). I like the thought of a tray for aerial work. Futaba have an excellent reputation and I like the idea of s-bus for clean installations and they are very compatible with long-range FPV stuff (my other hobby).

Hmmm, probably the Futaba 14SG. The right amount of channels and only £500. Any thoughts welcome.