The more I have to deal with PID the more I like KK boards!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
What was I thinking when I bought a Quadrino board for one of my little quads that needs a USB connection to the board and a Java based GUI to set the PIDs to get the D**m thing flying???

At least with an MK the board it pretty much works out of the box with the factory default settings, heck even the Hoverfly did. The Quadrino as it turns out flys rather like a sparrow on crack until you get the settings right and if the hardware you're using doesn't play nice with the board then getting it right can be a royal pain in the backside if it ever happens at all. I can't tell you how many times I've been in and out of my basement slider with that quad in my hand expecting each round of changed settings to be the ones that were going to make it fly right, I've fairly well worn a path from my desk to the yard!

Not to be unfortunately, I've come to the sad conclusion that the low buck ESC's and motors I'm now using on the little quads just don't work with the Quadrino although they work fine with the less demanding KK controllers. Time for the Quadrino to head off to a new home, it set a record for the least amount of time in my fleet. I simply can't justify buying new controllers for this board when I have three sets of perfectly good ones that will work with other flight controllers of which I happen to have several at the moment and I'll go crazy trying to tune the thing anyway. Give me a KK board and its simple three little gain pots anyday, sometimes its better to just tweak it with a screwdriver and go fly, I spend too much time in front of a computer as it is...;)

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

matwelli

Just took my copter control board out for a fly, its replaced my KKuk

i cranked the gains up 3x over standard on rate and 1.5 times on stabilisation

ROCK SOLID describes it, it gets slight oscillations when a gust hits it, but i can live with that, could reduce the gain a smidge, but - it now flys like my $300 ardupilot :)
Had an absolute ball.

Seriously Ken, look to a CC when they become available as a great board for everyday flying.

takes about 10 minutes to swap from a KK to a CC, takes about 4 times as long to dial it in (20 minutes as opposed to 5)

Crash

Defies Psychics
Ken, Try the dev code on the quadrino. It has a better algorithm. Also, if you use the compass, there is a code change that must be made.

Kilby

Just took my copter control board out for a fly, its replaced my KKuk

i cranked the gains up 3x over standard on rate and 1.5 times on stabilisation

ROCK SOLID describes it, it gets slight oscillations when a gust hits it, but i can live with that, could reduce the gain a smidge, but - it now flys like my $300 ardupilot :)
Had an absolute ball.

Seriously Ken, look to a CC when they become available as a great board for everyday flying.

takes about 10 minutes to swap from a KK to a CC, takes about 4 times as long to dial it in (20 minutes as opposed to 5)

Mat, this so very encouraging to hear. I can't wait to give mine a try.