The Hour Is Upon US! FAA To Divulge New sUAS Regulations Today (Sunday 2/15/2015)!

Ok team, I am an amateur. No doubt about that. I have great connections to get into the inspection biz. I want to do it right. Ins, training, ect. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction for certification? Insurance I'm sure to find. Getting stick time will be easy where I live (CA). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old Man

Welcome, to the forum.

You've got some practice time ahead of you for sure. Certification is a bit hard to accomplish at the moment because the rules establishing that process are currently in the public comment period. The FAA released their rules and certification proposal in a Notice of Proposed Rule Making for Part 107 two Sundays back. The comment period for that will last 60 days, at which point the FAA and DOT will review what they received for possible incorporation into and modification of their proposal. It will be a several months to a couple years before the final rule set will be codified. At the moment there are zero centers that can certify you. There are a lot of places you can go for a couple days to obtain rudimentary operating skills, but nobody has an accepted training syllabus yet because none has been published or approved. Any place that offers both some level of multirotor flight training along with course study and sign off endorsement for the Private Pilot written exam are the places that will provide the most benefit for those aspiring to commercial operations.

You still have the option of filing for a Part 333 Waiver but I caution that action until determining exactly what you want to do. The waiver process is time consuming, document heavy, expensive, and requires you obtain a Private Pilot's license. By the time you completed and filed the waiver application and gone through full scale flight training the new proposal could become law. You would have a pilot's license to carry forward but the time and expense would have been a heavy price to pay for something you could have done in a few weeks at far less capital expense.

In the mean time those that want to go pro (no pun intended) might consider reading the study materials for the Private Pilot written exam, with particular attention to weather, airport operations, airspace identification, and collision avoidance. Those points were noted in the NPRM as areas of knowledge tat will be required of an operator applicant. For a shameless plug I'll suggest visiting www.acuas.org for a one stop location to check out the actual NPRM and link to the NPRM public input comment site. We also have a poll running you can participate in to see what people think of the new regulatory proposal. The NPRM itself provides information relating to what the FAA currently believes will be be necessary to become a certified operator. A back ground check, pass a written test, and register your aircraft are the big three at an estimated cost of under $300.00 for the whole shebang. It also states what they will likely require for operating limitations.

Perhaps a more difficult thing for you will be determining the type of equipment you will need to use to perform the operations you have in mind. What they are used for frequently determines what equipment will be necessary, along with determining the size of the aircraft. Once you have that down you'll need to either buy or build the tools you will be using and practice, practice, practice until you have a clear understanding of what it takes to safely operate the aircraft and all it's accessories. You've come to the right forum for help because most here are either already professionals or very close to it. Although we have fewer people that some sites the maturity of the experience found here is far greater. Nobody is pimping a product simply because they have one. If you get a recommendation for something it was provided because it works. From the aircraft through the payload components the experience level here is high.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Thank you for the input. What is your or anyone's take on the Matrix i?

The Turbo Ace stuff seems to work well but is very overpriced. And the Matrix at $2400 for a GoPro carrier is INSANELY over priced.
If you read the forum you will see there are MANY options, and if you have the cash and don;t have the time, perhaps the Turbo Ace stuff is a match for you, but if a budget is an issue you can build a much better rig for that money.

Thank you for your input. At first glance I thought it looked over priced but just wanted to verify with the pros. If i were to think about building a rig, of course application will dictate, where would i be able to read up on equipment to better decide What I'd need? I would like to think most have someone, locally, who is in the Hobbie they could bounce things off of Or guide them in the process.

Old Man

You mentioned in your first post getting into the "inspection" business. The question of inspecting "what" significantly impacts the items that would be needed for the job. Roof inspections? A Go Pro White on a fixed angle mounted on vibration dampeners would work but a simple and relatively inexpensive two axis gimbal could be better. Real estate? Go Pro not so good unless you change the lens to get rid of the curved renderings of an extremely wide angle lens. Pipeline? How close can you get? Power lines? I would prefer to keep a little distance so better cameras that are heavier, requiring better gimbals and more aircraft lift capacity that needed with a Go Pro or Mobius. Shooting video or stills? That will frequently impact camera choices too. Flying a programmed flight plan using waypoints or hand flying everything? That decision impacts the type of flight controller you will want.

So what you might need is heavily influenced by what you want to do. Unfortunately the study materials are endless and new questions pop up with every piece of equipment. Keeps your mind active for sure. So what is it you want to do?