Terrain Following

keensg

President, geoResource Technologies, Inc.
Does anyone know a way to apply a terrain value to a flight developed in DJI Ground Station to handle changes in elevation throughout a flight? I know I could add a ground elevation value to each control point but that seems like clunky way to do it and does not cover all instanced (say for example there is a rise half-way along one of your flight lines). I am also not sure how the software handles a change in height between way-points - does it extrapolate the difference and gain that height evenly along the flight-line?

I have spoken to someone that said he was using a GS that applied the Google Earth elevation value to a flight so you could (approximately) maintain a constant height about the ground rather than a constant height above your Home Point. But it was not DJI. Any help is appreciated!

Old Man

Anything DJI only does what DJI wants it to do, and integration of outside systems or programming is one of the things DJI doesn't do.. Learn how the AP deals with changes in waypoint elevation through trial and error over flat ground. Good terrain following requires more than Google Earth elevation data.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
I know I could add a ground elevation value to each control point but that seems like clunky way to do it and does not cover all instanced (say for example there is a rise half-way along one of your flight lines).
If you consider any change in direction, vertical and horizontal, to be handled in the same way it is not so clunky after all...

I am also not sure how the software handles a change in height between way-points - does it extrapolate the difference and gain that height evenly along the flight-line?
That should be quite easy to test.