Team Black Sheep kits

David1953

Im still dilly-dallying around trying to decide on a first build. Had leaned toward the Flamewheel 450 platform, but then yesterday saw a TBS Disco build with Long range video and Dragon link gear.
The cost of the frame with the integrated board isn't that much more than a DJI Flamewheel, but I wonder if those plug-ins can be utilized without using TBS components?
Anyone used this platform for build or bought their kits that would be willing to give a fellow some feedback?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
What do you mean by "plug in's"?
You can use what ever you want on a disco, unless you are talking about the one with the Gimbal and VTX built in.

David1953

Yes to the vtx and gimbal. I watched the build videos showing the pin soldering and wondered if you didn't use TBS components if other companies stuff would plug in or would I just be wasting the integrated frame circuitry.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
I've built 2 Disco Pros and converted them both to 3DR Pixhawks for FC.
The built in gimbal is the strongest argument for using a Disco Pro. Lighter weight, smaller form factor and lower overall cost. (AlexMos controller...)
The Disco Pro also includes the TBS CORE (Power supply for video camera and transmitters) On Screen Display of voltage, signal strength, etc., and a switcher to change your view from gimballed GoPro to the FPV camera. Although you can use whatever FPV camera you choose (You may have to make your own connector wire) the GoPro is the only camera for the gimbal. GoPro 4 is supported.

The support forum for the Disco is just phenomenal:
http://fpvlab.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?25-Team-Black-Sheep

David1953

Thanks JoeBob. Do you have an opinion on their kit builds? Are the kit build components high quality? I don't mind paying a few extra bucks because it's plug and play as long as it's comparable to decent third party components. For example, their FPV camera and vTx.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Cook your own:

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:discopro

FEATURES
  • Integrated brushless gimbal & control board (plug & play!)
  • Built-in camera switch (GoPro live-out and pilot's camera)
  • Frame acts as power distribution board
  • Ready for long range FPV
  • TBS CORE (on screen display) with digital current sensor
  • Lightweight CNC aluminum gimbal
  • Custom IMU
  • Tried and proven frame design - based on the world's most popular FPV quad!
PACKAGE INCLUDES
  • Top and Bottom plates with
    • CORE installed
    • AlexMos SimpleBGC Controller integrated
    • Camera switcher integrated
    • RF tin shield installed
  • Aluminum CNC gimbal with vibration isolation
  • GoPro Live Video out board
  • TBS IMU
  • 2x GB2208 direct drive gimbal motors
  • XT60 pigtail
  • All required molex cables, screws, standoffs and bearings

WHAT DO I NEED ADDITIONALLY?
  • 4pcs Flamewheel Arms
  • Remote control, 6 or more channels
  • Flight control (GPS optional)
  • 4x 200W motors and 4x 30A ESC
  • 4x 9x5 or 10x5 propeller set (clockwise and counter-clockwise rotation!)
  • FPV camera
  • FPV transmitter
  • GoPro HD HERO3/4 or HERO2 camera
  • 3300mAh - 4500mAh 4S battery (8 - 12 mins flight time) - no larger than 31 x 47 x 157mm

I use TBS motors and ESCs, no problems. (I think they're T-Motor custom branded.)
EzUHF works very well with my Futaba T8fg.
In some cases, you can find individual components cheaper, but the TBS combos (FatShark, Immersion RC, etc.) are good buys.