Tarot X8 - (Frame name not the configuration) 1050 octo

jhardway

Yes its confusing the frame name of Tarots new line of frames start with an "X" (x4, x6, x8). I have not built a new frame in a while but here it is. As when I started building tarot products a few years ago, like them this one is also no disappointment.

It's carbon fiber, aluminum arms - mixed frame (with an quick release umbrella fold and retractable landing gear), all for $535. To me it fits the consistency I have seen from Tarot in the past. They are good at bringing price point down.

What you may find different then most of the modern day frames, Tarot took the arms and made out of aluminum, They are pretty strong especially on the lift axis and with the way they designed the arms there is also room to put your ESC's in them.

The first thing that came to my mind and will keep an eye on is Heat. To help on this they also designed to incorporate a cooling system that takes the down wash off the props and channels it through the arms so the ESC get airflow over them during flight. Just like a real copter when landing I am planning to let the motors keep running at a very low speed for about 30 seconds and that should do a good job helping the Heat Sink cool the electronics.

Another thing that I am glad for is they have incorporated an electrical integration in the bottom plate center hub, this is for the ESC's communication connection to the FCS, they also added 3 - xt60 power outputs for other equipment that may need power.

For the motors in the designed they have supplied a center hub power distribution board, and a quick release cable that feeds power to the ESC's/Motors.
And to finish it off there is an added a vibration cushion on the motor mount plate, I'm interested to see how this feature works.

Over all it make for a very nice and clean build.

I will keep posting some photos as I have been putting it together.
but for the time here are some I have been taking

Best all.
View attachment 22029 View attachment 22030 View attachment 22031 View attachment 22032 View attachment 22033 View attachment 22034 View attachment 22035 View attachment 22036

Attachments

• eDSC_9380.jpg
    eDSC_9380.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 340
  • eDSC_9401.jpg
    eDSC_9401.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 374
  • eDSC_9403.jpg
    eDSC_9403.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 327
  • eDSC_9404.jpg
    eDSC_9404.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 345
  • eDSC_9406.jpg
    eDSC_9406.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 459
  • eDSC_9408.jpg
    eDSC_9408.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 338
  • eDSC_9415.jpg
    eDSC_9415.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 318
  • eDSC_9418.jpg
    eDSC_9418.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 479
  • eDSC_9424.jpg
    eDSC_9424.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 393
Last edited by a moderator:

jhardway

Alvinl

The motor mounts frame, are aluminum the plate the motors sit on are carbon fiber, On this build I have T-motor 4012 340kv, I like the motors and for the size the 15 inch carbon fiber props fall in their wheel house, on take off the copter is around 14 lbs, including 2 5300 mha (6s) batteries. with gimbal it will be around 19lbs.

here is a video of first flight from yesterday, in the video the copter is light and at the very bottom of the lift curve, meaning any lighter it gets a little unstable. For the very first flight it did well.

wizprod

The antivibe motors arent a good idea. The problem is this:
- The rubber dampers provide vibe-killing, however it also allows for movement. So, if your prop/motor is not balanced, the amplitude of The vibration will actually be higher.

In my mind, you would have to build as stiff as possible, so you dont allow for movement, and then use seperate wide anti-vibe plates for sensor-electronics and gimbal.

jhardway

Wizprod

I have something to say about that and let me point out there are a few other guys out there building this frame and reporting back what they have going on. From what I have seen and read from their notes, vibration has not seemed to be an issue yet. If the dampers end up being a problem, it can easily be fixed by taking them out and inserting some type of washer in line.

On my end and when looking at the frame balanced props are one of my first concerns, out of balance props can easily resonate through out the frame, during my first flight I did see a little (very little) of that, however I was seeing more side to side travel then a twisting type of vibration that the mounts are designed for.

Let me point out, 3 of my props were definitely out of balance (on the arms I were seeing slight issues with) and when looking at the arms, some of the screws also were not all completely tighten all the way down, which gave the arms the littlest of play.

When these proper were on solid carbon fiber arm (Ironman 1000) I did not see any of this, but that is the difference, with arms that have supports by using the depth into the center hub you end up gaining rigidity though out, while losing real estate and convenience.

With these type of frames I see why balance can be an issues. Mainly because the lack of support on the arms directional axis, it all stems from the root's lack of depth in design. I see the same problem with S1000 and s900 design. This does not does not say the frame is not any good. Its just a matter of having a well balanced prop.

I have not flown my frame since re-balancing the props but I also have a set of folding props coming and that will give me a much better understanding. I like the thought of the folding props not all because of their ability to fold down and make transportation easier but more for the fact of having a very consistent center hub.

Here is a good link to a folding propeller vs normal propeller test. http://www.multirotorforums.com/threads/product-review-dji-1552-folding-propeller.16792/ (many thanks to econfly) To me a lot of problems with, out of balance props stems in the hubs material and consistency, with a folding down prop a lot of that is taken away because of the ability to meet specs with aluminum and also the hubs strength is much stronger, this allows for less material to be used in putting it all together.

Like anything the folding props of their issues also but for my purposes I am excited to see how they work out and the difference they may bring to what I am seeing.

I will report back once I get to see how it all shakes out. Ha Ha ???