Taranis Throttle Channel Issue

FlaBouy

First newb question for the board.

Just bought a new Taranis transmitter to setup with the F550 with 2D gimbal and a Naza M. After calibrating the sticks, I eased over to the sticks menu to check range of motion and noted that the throttle stick shows as the elevator, and the elevator stick shows as throttle.

My Channel setup is:

Channel 1: Ail
Channel 2: Ele
Channel 3: Thr
Channel 4: Rud
Channel 5: S1
Channel 6: SG (Gimbal Control)
Channel 7: SE
Channel 8: Currently unbound

Everything else appears calibrated, and even those two sticks calibrate, they just show as swapped.... which would explain the throttle warning message everytime I turn on the Taranis..

I have been flying heli's off and on since 2001 but this is my first experience setting up a Hex and getting this deep in the weeds on a Transmitter.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Sarcasm? :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
When you list your channels are you taking about in the Mixes window? You want to make sure that your channels are set up correctly in that window - which I believe is listing the "output" settings. It's easy to take a look in the Companion 9x software. The other thing to check is that you're not in Mode 1 - but you'd notice the pitch being opposite as well.

FlaBouy

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that is my stack out in the mixer menu(6/13)..

As for the Companion9X... that is still a work in progress... My alienware does not seem to speak FrSky's language at the moment... but like I said in the original post, the Throttle/Elevator are the only swapped channels.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that is my stack out in the mixer menu(6/13)..

As for the Companion9X... that is still a work in progress... My alienware does not seem to speak FrSky's language at the moment... but like I said in the original post, the Throttle/Elevator are the only swapped channels.

Sorry, I'm not sure what it would be then. I was hoping it was something simple like the two being swapped in the mixes. The Companion software is just a decent way to see it a little easier - and it was in there that I swapped my channel outputs around. But it took me a while to get it to work - because the Mac version takes a little finagling.

I'm still really new to the whole Taranis layout and setup. Maybe a more expert Taranis guy could chime in here...

FlaBouy

Adversity is the mold that experts are cast from, ehh?

Thanks for the shot at it. The companion9X problem is USB driver and I just watched one of Scott's "Zaidig for Dummies" videos.. I think this dog will hunt...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Adversity is the mold that experts are cast from, ehh?

Thanks for the shot at it. The companion9X problem is USB driver and I just watched one of Scott's "Zaidig for Dummies" videos.. I think this dog will hunt...

He's the man. Hopefully his video gets you straightened around. It's definitely worth having the software. In the end, I think it will be a game changer.

SoCal Blur

Not knowing anything about Naza, how does the RX connect to the Naza? Is it sbus or 8 individual signal wires? If its the latter, could it be that the two connections are simply reversed?

FlaBouy

Thanks for the comment SoCal. But this is prior to introducing the Naza to the mix. This is setting up the Transmitter standalone and calibrating the sticks/sliders. After setting the mixer screen and then calibrating, the output from the throttle stick is driving the output mix for the elevator and vice versa... which explains the throttle alarm when I power up the transmitter because it sees the right hand stick centered and thinks it is the throttle. I can actually verify the calibration and watch the throttle gimbal drive the elevator mix curve on the radio and watch the elevator gimbal drive the throttle mix curve on the radio.

Did not get a chance to mess with it last night since I got hung up at work in a design review. Maybe I get a chance to make a run at it tonight.

FlaBouy

Mystery solved... Who new the last item on the first menu on the Radio setup was mode setting... :)

Thank you Aloft Hobbies for that little tidbit. I think that was what Moto was trying to point to but I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Mystery solved... Who new the last item on the first menu on the Radio setup was mode setting... :)

Thank you Aloft Hobbies for that little tidbit. I think that was what Moto was trying to point to but I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That's what I had been wondering early on. Glad you figured it out. The fact that most radios have to be ordered with one particular setting (mode 1 or 2) doesn't make this an obvious choice. It's the options that will get you in the end! :)

FlaBouy

Ehhh... I have the patience of Job.. I am in no hurry to my first crash... :) That menu selection was the difference between a quick menu click and a long hold menu selection.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, but now I question my pitch setup..

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ehhh... I have the patience of Job.. I am in no hurry to my first crash... :) That menu selection was the difference between a quick menu click and a long hold menu selection.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, but now I question my pitch setup..

What do you mean? Is the pitch not working???

FlaBouy

Dunno.. the only thing I did last night was quickly go back through the startup menu and changed the mode setting. I now have to go back and re-calibrate and check all my channel outputs to verify they are correct. As someone who designs/programs plc's in industrial environments for going on 20 years, I am anal about re-verifying setups when a major variable is changed in the software. I have yet to even jack in to the receiver beyond checking the switches for 2D camera gimbal setup. I want to get the radio setup and the companion9X link figured out before I step to the bird.. the Taranis is a nice platform and I want to fully understand the radio prior to getting distracted by the Hex setup... my issue is time.. working 60-70 hour work weeks followed by a couple hours a day in the gym and then whittling away at the honey doo's leaves precious little time to go at this project with big chunks of time.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
As someone who designs/programs plc's in industrial environments for going on 20 years, I am anal about re-verifying setups when a major variable is changed in the software.

Everyone should be this anal - there will be a potentially dangerous craft, high above the ground depending on it!

Good luck with the tests...