Taranis FrSky/X8R Naza 2 setup questions - basic manual settings questions

I didn't want to gum up the group build thread, but it pertains to bart's suggestion to start off simple and get flying in manual mode. I didn't post there because I'm sure there are hundreds of variables with RX/TX options, so just figured I'd wave a flag here for anyone familiar with the Taranis tx:

I have a quick question about setting up just the manual flight mode (without any of the advanced features for now):

1. I'm using a taranis FrSky tx & X8R rx.

2. I found a great step by step thread from gringers here:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...tructions-for-FrSky-Taranis-X8R-and-Naza-M-V2

3. I want to set up the radio like bart has suggested with only the basics set up at first & the thread above walks through the failsafe/gimble/flight modes right off the bat, so I need to modify a little bit and have a few questions.

4. So I think I need to set up the first 4 channels:
CH1 – AIL
CH2 – ELE
CH3 – THR
CH4 – RUD

5. At this point I get a little confused. Do I skip over channel 5 & 6 and jump right to setting up channel 7 (which determines the flight mode), but If I only want it set to manual for now, how do I go about that?

6. Lastly, for a failsafe (if the craft looses a signal), shouldn't I have something set up for that right off the bat? I think the X8R rx has some built in failsafe, but really I have no idea what that is, or what it does.

Any help or insight appreciated!

gringers

Preoccupied
Hey gomotomoto,

5 - Don't skip channel 5 & 6. It's easier to set up now whilst you're in the tx menus and working through logically. If you're keeping basic, I would use channel 5 for remote gain adjustment (which I found very useful when you're first trying to get the 'feel' for how your new build acts/reacts).
Setup channel 6 for IOC (you have to/should do it at some stage and at this point involves about an extra 8 clicks on your tx!). You can just leave the assigned switch in the 'off' position if you so wish until you decide you want to try out IOC (if you ever do, personally I don't like it!)

Even if you only want to fly in manual, you still need to set up your control mode switch properly ('Configuring the Control Mode Switch' in the first post). Once setup, it's up to you whether you choose to keep the switch in manual or use the other modes. Personally unless you're really confident with flying multis already, I'd definitely take my first flight in ATTI or even GPS if everything looks good.

6 - That's the 'Setting Failsafe' part of my 'how-to' :p By the time you get to step (7) of that section, you'll know from looking at how the assistant software reacts as to what happens when your tx looses signal (or in this case, you switch it off)

Hope that makes sense, shout if not!

Paul