T-motor ESC's heavily filtered?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Hi guys,

I was recently trying to help somebody tune a Carbon Cortex with a Pixhawk on it, equiped with... 16" T-motor props and I'm not sure which motors (assume appropriate). It had T-motor ESC's, I think maybe 40A?

I had more difficulty tuning this machine than ever before, Arducopter Autotune completely failed on it, and it's taken a lot of work doing a manual tune, still working on it. I have to look at high-rate data logs as it's impossible to tune heuristically as I normally do.

The reason being, it seems that the powertrain combination is very unresponsive. ie: Normally I manually tune by increasing Rate P until it oscillates, then backing off a bit, and doing the same for Rate D. But I tried this, increasing both terms until they were double our typical maximum, and it still wasn't oscillating. Looking at the datalogs, I could see the motor output was just a complete mess. Just pure noise, filling up the PWM range from 1200 to 1800 on all the motors. It's a wonder it was flying at all.

That's when I realized that something was slowing or heavily filtering the motor response. I don't think it's the propeller inertia, as I have an octo with 15" props that isn't like this. I really wonder if it's the T-motor ESC's filtering the inputs. This is no SimonK!

I've got the thing flying well enough, but it's still not quite done. I'm not sure this thing will ever be perfectly stable. I've had to turn down the angular acceleration lower than I ever have before. And it still bobbles every once in a while.

Is this a known issue with T-motor ESC's?

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Wow, so nobody knows?

Anybody using Tmotor ESC's?

I have to say, so far this issue has be mightily unimpressed with Tmotor. Are you really getting what you pay for? The props are indeed very nice. The motors... meh, I don't see them being much better than any number of other mid-range options. The ESC's don't look very good to me so far.

At least they don't have sync loss, I'll give them that.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have an octo with 45 AMP T-Motor esc's that was flying very well on SuperX, but one of the ESC's popped. The rig was hovering right around 55% and the Amp draw was completely within acceptable specs.

I also have a Big Hex with 80A T-Motor Pro ESC's running U7 490 KV motors and the ESC's constantly get insanely hot. Enough that I really do not fly the rig. The shrink wrap has actually melted off the ESC's and T-Motors response was "That's OK, they are designed to run hot, just put more shrink wrap on it"

This rig is actually hovering at around 45% so it's a bit light, but I can't see it being "melt shrink wrap" light...

The only T-Motor ESC's I REALLY like are the old NON-SimonK 40 AMP esc's. They fly smoothly, take a little set up but have never let me down.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Hmmm... I'm pretty happy with my HW Xrotor ESC's. They don't even get warm.

My concern with this X8 I'm working on, are that, it appears it will never be as stable as it could be. I have to dial back the gains to try and leave some bandwidth in the filter to leave some room for the altitude controller to work properly.

dazzab

Have you contacted T-Motor about the issue? Would be interesting to see what their response is.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I fly a Cinestar X8 with 80A T-Motor ESCs. Controller is a WKM. It's locked in, no stability or response issues whatsoever...

fltundra

I'm surprised know one is using the Castle phoenix edge HV regular or light in the 120 amp model. Would be my 1st choice if tmotors 80's are running that hot.

Pumpkinguy

I put mine thru some significant load tests today. Hex u7/t80a.
AUW 15.5kg. There were 2 esc's hotter than the rest with the hottest being 156F. The other 4 were 132F or less. Motors were cool as a cucumber.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Interesting review, but it's not clear to me how you're measuring that. I guess we just have to take your word for it that the PWM changed when you said it did, it's not really reflected in the trace. Then how do we see the response in the throttle output, what are we looking for? The motor signal to go full on?

If so, then OK.

Begs the question then, what is going on? Is this just an issue with motor inertia then?

I don't know exactly what's going on with the motor/ESC. I do know exactly what's going on with the flight controller. The problem is definitely not too fast of a reaction. I overgained the thing 2-3 times, and it will not oscillate.

Perhaps it's a difference in ESC models?