XAircraft SX Issue with Yellow LED

questech

Hi Everyone.

I flew my first test flight on a 1400mm Octocopter and it flew great with one exception.

I tested this SX on various quadcopters prior to putting it on the big rig, but not thoroughly... just enough to see if there were any major problems with the SX.

On several occations (while on the quads) I noticed that after I got satellites and started to fly, the LED would turn yellow in GPS mode. That normally means some kind of magnetic disturbance.

I chalked it up to an anomaly and didn't give it much thought.

Now that it's on the Octocopter, it did the same thing on the maiden flight.

The configuration of the quads were so different from this Octo that I don't think it is vehicle related. My GPS is above everything else and I've shielded the electronics as much as possible. I don't think the yellow LED is the fault of my build.

I'm going to fly it somewhere different tomorrow, if the weather permits, and I'll recalibrate the compass again before my flight.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Anthony

mediaguru

I've had that happen twice in about 150 flights. My GPS was not far from the batteries in the center of the craft. Since then I've put it on a post much higher and have not had the issue.

questech

Hello Again mediaguru :)

I don't think that is my issue as my GPS is already far above everything else and separated by 2 shielded CF plates.

I will fly it at a new location that may not have the same geological conditions as where I made my first test flight and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply!

Anthony

vispaaja

I usually get the yellow light near buildings or powerlines. Very rarely at open fields.

Is the GPS wire going near any ESC's or battery wires? Also, is your GPS mast made of metal or carbon fiber? I used to get compass error warnings with WKM when I used a metal mast, the problem dissapeared when I changed to carbon fiber.

questech

Not actually on a mast but mounted on top of the plastic bonnet covering my RX and FC. Also not near any electronics, but I'm going to relocate it to one of the motor booms. It will be lower than the electronics, and the Lipos for that matter, but I've seen it mounted this way many times and it will protect it in the event of a tip over or moderate crashes... which I never have :)

It's an experiment, so we'll see what happens.

I think the location may have been to blame.

Thanks guys!!