XAircraft SuperX - red double-flash when in GPS mode.....

ChrisViperM

After being absent for a couple of month, I finally found the time to build a Droidworx CX-600. Flight contoller of my choice is the SuperX (1st generation, no S-Bus).

The built went well, I did the latest upgrade to the SuperX, calibrated throttle and reverse without problems, GPS/Compass calibration was sucessfull, but when I switch the flightmodes, in GPS/Atti hold I get double red flash, exactly the same as when turning on Failsafe. Manual and Atti are fine.

I changed the receiver, made a new model in my receiver (Futaba T18 MZ), moved the GPS puck to various locations, flashed the firmware (including new calibration) again, calibrated the compass at different locations, changed LiPo's, unplugged OSD and anything else not necessary for the FC...no sucess, still getting those damn red double-flashes.

"Try this or try that....." doesn't help in my case....I tried everything already.

Since I am not doing the maiden flight until I have resolved this (switching to GPS just to find out what happens is not my understanding of safety), I can either solve this or toss it into the bin.

Anyone can shed some light on this....????

Thanks

Chris

ChrisViperM

I guess my question would be, is it really in GPS/Atti or is it in Failsafe?

That's the big question......when the failsafe switch is in off position, Manual and Atti mode show the green flashes as per manual, when switching to GPS mode, I get that red double-flash. When failsafe switch is on, I get red double-flash in Manual, Atti and GPS mode. My SuperX OSD is telling me that it has locked to at least 6 satellites, and according to the manual I should get a yellow light if there is anything disturbing the GPS.

One of our members suggested to try to hold the compass in my hand and move it as far as possible awy from the craft for a minute and see if the red flashes go away....will try that later.

Chris

ChrisViperM

PS: Just tried to hold the GPS in my hand and walk arround outside with my quad (FC powered up, but motors not armed/started)......still the double red-flashes in GPS mode, but occationally it turns into solid red for a few seconds and than goes back into red double-flash.

Interesting, the OSD doesn't show "SAFE MODE" on the screen (like stated in the manual), neither when switching to failsafe nor when double-red flashes in GPS mode.....

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

PS 2:

Very interesting.....the manual states that when M (Flight Mode) is not connected to the receiver, the unit shold be in GPS/Atti mode by default, but when I unplug the M connector, I get fast green flashes, indicating manual mode, regardless in which position the flight mode switch before unplugging.

Chris

dazzab

I just put my first SuperX on a Droidworx XM6 last night. I had the same exact problem as you describe. Then I noticed that I had the remote gain control assigned to a channel that was providing input. I turned that down and the double red (which I think indicates an error condition) stopped. So check to see if you are unintentionally pushing the gains outside of limits with one of the channels on your Tx.

ChrisViperM

I just put my first SuperX on a Droidworx XM6 last night. I had the same exact problem as you describe. Then I noticed that I had the remote gain control assigned to a channel that was providing input. I turned that down and the double red (which I think indicates an error condition) stopped. So check to see if you are unintentionally pushing the gains outside of limits with one of the channels on your Tx.

Thanks for the hint, but this didn't work....tried to assign the gain to all knobs and sliders avaliable, tried to un-connect the gain connector (Ch 7)....no sucess.

Interesting enough, there is no way that someone can tell how high his Attitude gains are. The basic gains are shown in the SuperX software, but no sign of any values of Attitude gains....

Chris

dazzab

Thanks for the hint, but this didn't work....tried to assign the gain to all knobs and sliders avaliable, tried to un-connect the gain connector (Ch 7)....no sucess.
Interesting enough, there is no way that someone can tell how high his Attitude gains are. The basic gains are shown in the SuperX software, but no sign of any values of Attitude gains....
Chris
I noticed that too. Hopefully someone from XAircraft will pop in and tell us how to find out what the gains are set to. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it all so I'm still learning.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Gains: for SuperX the gains are initially set via the software, the default is 1.0 for all axis including height, further adjustment can be accomplished via the radio but only on a per flight basis and it does not adjust the amount set in the software.

From what I have been told by Xaircraft Australia that an adjustment by the radio in the negative will adjust the set amount in the software by no more than 50%, in the positive by no more than 200%, the only way to see the gains applied by the radio is to load the data into the balck box and view from there, however this only shows a percentage either plus or minus.

It is hard to track your problem, Bad GPS is normally a yellow, I have attached the relevant codes from the manual, I'd first focus on the radio, its set-up and binding, but rare as it is don't over look the factor it could be a faulty example and maybe communicating with your distributor may provide quicker help

David

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 232

Electro 2

FWIW, I generally set the travel/throw limits on the gain channel to 30% in both directions. Gives a nice linear gain change in flight with enough change to be useful.

ChrisViperM

I finally give up now.....I guess the unit is faulty.....here it goes to the bin.

Will try another one (this time the v2 with USB) and see how it goes. Not sure what to use in the meantime: Either one of the WooKong's from the scrap-box or the YS-4X which should be laying arround somewhere.....

Chris

The version 2 as I understand it refers to the IO (Bec)and the only difference between V1 and V2 is SBUS.. IO V1 didn't support SBUS but V2 does whilst the actual FC itself remains the same. But I think you're right Chris, your FC is faulty.
Don't give up on Xaircraft though, hitherto I was using DJI Naza's and so far I like what is happening with Xaircraft products and their support is better, you at least get a reply from Anthony. I have never ever had a reply to problems I sent into DJI or perhaps they didn't understand my Yorkshire dialect.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm guessing this isn't the same. However, I've been testing some dif configs and I had temporarily borrowed my Super x from my x8 and put it on a quad with 4 Avroto 3515's . Did some tests with 2 different gimbals. I then decided to test with 4 of the new KDE 3520's on same quad. Just swapped motors and reset gains. Lost my GPS somehow. When in ATI mode got red and green flash which means no gps. GPS mode flight not possible.

Raised the GPS puck up another 6 inches off deck. Above motors and battery. Still no luck. Said what the ???? and put the Avroto's back on. GPS lock.

Not sure if this helps, but it may be something similar going on.