XAircraft SuperX newbie question

wbrownj

Ok, so I don't even have my xA650 yet, but I am close and so am beginning to spend a lot of my day anticipating its arrival and setup.

My question is simple, I have seen many videos where in the GPS disc is mounted behind the main body shell on a bracket attached to the load hanger bars.

I currently have a DJI Phantom which has all the GPS electronics inside the main shell and I think that that is aesthetically pleasing.

So, can the GPS disc from the SuperX be mounted inside the main body shell of the XA 650 Pro?

Many thanks,

Jonathan

CrashMaster

I have the pro version and simply mount it where they suggest and never had a problem. I have seen the disc mounted with no post in the same position which would be a lot saver for the puck in an accident but I keep mine on a 4" post at the rear. However, if the material used allows the signal through and you guard it with some copper foil I can see no reason for it not working under the cover. It would have to be on a post and not stuck to the underside of the cover because you will always be removing the cover between flights and to fold it.

Personally I have a lot of electronics in there so best kept away from it all.
View attachment 14229

Attachments

• IMAG0716.jpg
    IMAG0716.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 237

CrashMaster

I see on their official video on Vimo they have the puck mounted directly on the rear support...

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have a SuperX with the puck mounted out back on the riser, and i have one where i mounted the puck in the middle of the craft on a 1" riser just to make it fit the frame. i saw no difference in performance. I think as long as the shell is not a carbon material you will be fine.

CrashMaster

There's your answer then. As long as you can fit it in there then the cover being made from plastic should cause no problem.... Try it and report back. If it establishes clean GPS satellite signals then 'jobs a good un..'. let us know and we could all protect our pucks likewise.

rwilabee

So no problem with it being close to the electronics?

I have a SuperX with the puck mounted out back on the riser, and i have one where i mounted the puck in the middle of the craft on a 1" riser just to make it fit the frame. i saw no difference in performance. I think as long as the shell is not a carbon material you will be fine.

wbrownj

Many thanks for all the responses. When I get my craft and have become familiar with it then I probably will try this out because it is safer for the puck and, to me, more aesthetically pleasing. If i do decide to do it I will definitely post results here.

J

CrashMaster

I just wonder if the SuperX puck is more sensitive to GPS than the WKM one. The size suggests it may have more inside? I will carry on with mine on top at the back and see if others get on with the WKM puck. Not having a SuperX I can't experiment with that. Just now the WKM keeps dropping GPS to Atti mode but know that is a firmware issue caused by V5.26 and not the puck.

wbrownj

Good luck with that.

As i said part of it for me has to do with aethetics.... I just dont like my black themed quad having a big brilliant white puck on the back... It just looks out of place. I know function is really more important than form but with what is a pretty expensive piece of kit, for me the whole experience is important. Vain ?? Moi ???

J

rwilabee

Maybe you could paint it black?

Good luck with that.

As i said part of it for me has to do with aethetics.... I just dont like my black themed quad having a big brilliant white puck on the back... It just looks out of place. I know function is really more important than form but with what is a pretty expensive piece of kit, for me the whole experience is important. Vain ?? Moi ???

J

wbrownj

Maybe you could paint it black?

Mmmm I have done that before, on parts of my DJI Phantom.... but that SuperX is quite expensive to give a paint job. I have not really come to any conclusion yet coz I am only going to place the order for my x650 on Tuesday.. (very excited). I will see how I feel about things when I see it all together and then make some decisions.

Whatever I decide, I will try and post the outcome here :)

J

CrashMaster

If you haven't already ordered your x650 you need to seriously consider the pro rather than the za or value. The pro looks the same but is so much better and capable of nearly 20 mins flight with twice the load of the value. They come from the same stable, look similar but are worlds apart..

wbrownj

Thanks for the tip CrashMaster !!!

Yup I am ordering the PRO !!!!!
Truly I can't wait for it to arrive. My setup will be:

X650 Pro + SuperX FC + Spektrum R8000 (8 ch) Rx + Spektrum DX8 Tx + GoPro Hero 3 Black + a pair of G.T Power high intensity spotlights (controlled from Tx) just for bling :). Not sure what gimbal I will use. I already have a GoodLuckSell B/L gimbal so will see how that goes.

All the best,
J

CrashMaster

Glad to hear you are going for the Pro. I would like a second Pro set-up like yours so I can compare the WKM and SuperX directly but cost is against me.

There are now loads of gimbals designed just for the GoPro 3 HD now. I use the AerXcraft one and although some initial teething issues to start with they are now sold almost plug and play. This uses the Martinez board which has proved very reliable for me and others.

wbrownj

So it is a bit off topic for this thread, but are servo driven gimbals as good as b/l motor driven ones?
I had a goodlucksell b/l one but managed to short the circuit board. It was really quite good though people's mileage seems to differ. Anyway, it was for my phantom so I have ordered another. I am thinking I will try it on my x650 as well.

J

Zirt57

So it is a bit off topic for this thread, but are servo driven gimbals as good as b/l motor driven ones?
I had a goodlucksell b/l one but managed to short the circuit board. It was really quite good though people's mileage seems to differ. Anyway, it was for my phantom so I have ordered another. I am thinking I will try it on my x650 as well.

J

My brushless and my servo based gimbals are worlds apart. I love the brushless ones. When I use the knob on my brushless gimbal to change the pitch, it is so smooth that I can hardly believe it. My servo based ones always jittered no matter what servos I used. I right now have 6 servo based gimbals (anyone want to buy them?) and only two brushless ones.

Jeff

wbrownj

My brushless and my servo based gimbals are worlds apart. I love the brushless ones. When I use the knob on my brushless gimbal to change the pitch, it is so smooth that I can hardly believe it. My servo based ones always jittered no matter what servos I used. I right now have 6 servo based gimbals (anyone want to buy them?) and only two brushless ones.

Jeff

Yup that is kind of what I thought the answer would be. And to be honest, given tat I am not doing professional or high precision AP, I think a fairly inexpensive B/L gimbal will be enough for me........... for now.

Best wishes,

J