XAircraft Super X heavy lift with 13 lb payload GPS testing

Av8Chuck

You know that video is a horizontal medium, right?

Your s brave soul testing the RTH with a 13lb payload on you first day.

What % did it hover at? What motors and props? What are your first impressions of the SuperX?

mspencer1

I usually fly heavy lift ships with the Hoverfly and even the APM and Pixhawk. Although the APM and Pixhawk are not as smooth. My first impressions were on my front lawn with no payload. I tested it for basic functionality. In manual and auto leveling mode it flew very similarly to the Hoverfly. I couldn't tell the difference. It is very smooth. I then tested the Position and Altitude hold (basically loitering) and it was also very smooth. It didn't make any jerky movements and it held its position and altitude spot on. At this time there was no wind. I then took it out to my flying field and tested it there with no payload to make sure everything was working. I then attached the toolbox and never touched my gain. I suspected it would oscillate with the faster moving props and heavy payload with a high gain setting but it didn't. I tried manual mode first. I would say it hovers at around 60% throttle with the payload. It was very Hoverfly like with no problems. I tried Auto leveling and it was very responsive and smooth. I then tried loitering. As you saw in the video it was spot on. I flew it around the field in loiter mode to see if it will act up in any way. I was curious if the altitude would hold and it did very well. So far my impressions are very good! The wind was light so I'll have to see how it does in heavy wind. My setup is and octocopter with i-flight MT4114-320kv motors, Castle Creations Talon 35 ESC's, and 16x5.5 props on a 1300mm frame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Photo Elevate

Gravity always wins!!!
Well we certainly would not have been able to do that with our Hoverfly boards.

I'm very impressed with my super X and feel it is a board I can trust.

Av8Chuck

Yeah the SX seems to be very stable. I've been flying in wind a lot lately, 20 gusting to 30 kinds of winds and my quad, Avroto 2814-11's and 12" props has been very smooth and predictable. I'd be very hesitant to fly in that sort of wind with any DJI but I don't think twice about it now. I hope that's a good thing.

Also the thing that I like about the SX in GPS mode is that when you switch to GPS it seems to log its location and then calculate its position relative to that point so it doesn't feel like you actually switched modes, its exactly like flying in attitude mode and then when you center the sticks to hover it resets the point. Thats feels very different top the way DJI does it. It would also explain why you can do a RTH and it works very well even without GPS lock and might explain why DJI has so many problems with uncontrolled flight.

Since Hoverfly seems to have scaled back I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of the SX.

mspencer1

Yes it does have a smooth way it goes about flying in ATT GPS mode. I'm really impressed it carried the amount of weight I put inside the toolbox (which was full of batteries). I just wanted to make sure it could carry the weight of a Red Epic camera and still maintain its altitude and position. I did several RTH cycles at the flying field today and it did come down a little faster within the last ten feet as you saw on the video which is why I backed up. But it landed smoothly every other time with no bounce. Of course i'd like to test it out in high winds with and without payload. If it can handle high winds with a heavy payload and not crash for the next ten flights it will become my new Hoverfly.