Sunny Sky motors... are there issues?

hndaluvr

Hi All,
I'm encountering a couple of issues with the Sunny Sky motors that I currently own.
I have set of V2216s and a set of 3508s. The V2216s are paired with RTFquad red series (SimonK flashed) ESCs, while the V3508s are paired with Hobby King Blue series (SimonK flashed) ESCs.
The issue(s) that I have are when going to full throttle the motors will act as if the timing begins to fail. At low and medium throttle they appear to run smoothly, but on occasion there will be a glitch present then they'll run smooth again for a period. Secondly, once the motors have run and I have unplugged the flight battery, the motors are stiff when rotating by hand. It takes several minutes... sometimes 1/2hr before the motors spin freely (unpowered) when rotated by hand.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this phenomenon?

On ReadyToFlyQuads website they selll the new Sunny Sky X2204 -2300kV motor for micros... in the notes it makes mention of the high kV being an issue with regard to the version of SimonK being run... as well as these motors should NOT be used with bullets. I'm not sure WHY these are issues, but I'm MORE curious as to whether these requirements need to be met when using the Sunny Sky 900kV motors that i'm using.

Are there special considerations that need to be addressed with the use of ALL Sunny Sky motors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Brian

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi hndaluvr, I also have the sunnysky v2216 900kv (on 4S) and use the iPeaka 30 amp with factory pre flashed SimonK, they work ok after calibrating at -120 setting on futaba radio. I would not bother with SimonK again ever.

I also have the Sunnysky 3508 380kv and run them with Hobby-Wing Platinum Pro 30 amp ESC's original Hobbywing firmware.

All my motors are connected to ESC's with bullets, never had a problem but I know other have, I make sure they are a nice snug fit no looseness.

Regards - bruce

Old Man

If one considers that Sunny Sky makes a very large percentage of the motors that are re-branded and sold under other names, including Tiger, I'm guessing you probably have an isolated issue.

SoCal Blur

I'm guessing its a compatability issue with the motors and the ESCs. I fly Sunnysky motors with SimonK flashed ESCs without issues but there are enough reports of issues with some SimonK flashed ESC's and various motors. Also, the motors being stiff when rotating by hand for a while after use is not unusual. In fact, if you take the three wires of the motor and short them together without any other connections, you'll notice the same thing.

hndaluvr

I'm guessing its a compatability issue with the motors and the ESCs. I fly Sunnysky motors with SimonK flashed ESCs without issues but there are enough reports of issues with some SimonK flashed ESC's and various motors. Also, the motors being stiff when rotating by hand for a while after use is not unusual. In fact, if you take the three wires of the motor and short them together without any other connections, you'll notice the same thing.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Blur... I am aware of the "touching the wires together" thing... but that should only happen when the wires see shorts to each other... not when all things are connected properly thru the ESCs... this is just weird.

I may take a chance and try some other ESCs, but I know the benefits of having the flashed ESCs and don't really like the idea of going with non-flashed versions.

SoCal Blur

Thanks for the responses guys.

Blur... I am aware of the "touching the wires together" thing... but that should only happen when the wires see shorts to each other... not when all things are connected properly thru the ESCs... this is just weird.

I may take a chance and try some other ESCs, but I know the benefits of having the flashed ESCs and don't really like the idea of going with non-flashed versions.

Well I see the same thing after flying my Octo sometimes... so it does happen even with things connected correctly.

hndaluvr

Ahhh... I see... okay i feel bit better about that now.
I'll have to begin doing some research on all things SimonK for the other issue.
Thanks for the insight guys!