Suggestions, Bugs, Problems, etc. 23Nov2014

mediaguru

I run probably 30 websites so I understand how much work they can be...

I'm not a fan of the narrower width. I've got a LOT of unused square footage on my monitor. It makes reading and using the site less enjoyable.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
we'll experiment with that as we go. the site is responsive so when monitors are too wide the layout blows out and looks pretty horrible. we may have to remove the 1080 max width that we set as I'm hearing from users that iPads are not auto-adjusting. the site should auto-fit to whichever device you're using so we'd want that to work for all users, all devices, all browsers if possible.

thanks for the feedback.
bart

deluge2

Congratulations on the 'new' site! I like the new site layout, seems more open, less busy.

Two minor issues:

1) On my iPad Air (iOS 7), for some reason new pages come up with less than the full page width displayed. I think all the msg text is displayed, but the left border of the msg boxes and beyond are not. If I manually re-size by zooming, then the full page width is displayed. No idea if this is related to the forum sw or not, but it is 'new' behavior.

2) More important, your avatar is not displaying properly. It displays partially zoomed and cropped with pixellation. If this is a general problem, pls consider fixing by uploading a higher-resolution version or whatever else would work.

Steve

PMaughan

Hi Bart,
Looks good but I miss the fact that in recent posts, which is what I usually look at, the classified posts are mixed up with other discussion posts which means more trawling to find actual content.
Cheers
Pete

Bartman

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was able to replicate what you're saying on my iPad so I'll bring that to the attention of our developers.....it can't be a major glitch as the site looks and works great on my android smartphone

Bartman

Hi Bart,
Looks good but I miss the fact that in recent posts, which is what I usually look at, the classified posts are mixed up with other discussion posts which means more trawling to find actual content.
Cheers
Pete
I agree and so the classifieds will be removed from the active threads list tonight. We will have to find another way to show recent classifieds.
Thanks
Bart

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Hey @Bartman, your new site is "la puta madre" as we say here in Spain (translates roughly to f**king great!). Great job and great new look.

Question: Did the "subscribed threads" section of "My settings" go away with the new format?

Edit: Never mind. I see there is a new sub-header called Watched Threads. That's the ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

deluge2

@Bartman
Looks like the iPad display width issue has been fixed, however I'm having a more significant problem now on the iPad. Opening any thread, the first post initially displays, but as the graphic elements of the page are rendered, the first part of the first post are covered by the site display frame. As a consequence, I can't see the complete text of the first posts. And there's no quick work around that I can find.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys, I was able to replicate what you're saying on my iPad so I'll bring that to the attention of our developers.....it can't be a major glitch as the site looks and works great on my android smartphone

Bartman

we're actually working on it. it's a conflict between the ad management software and the site software.

Tapatalk is back up and running under MultiRotorForums

:)

Bartman

right but then it will blow out on desktop monitors where the browser window is too wide

Ronan

@Bartman I like the new site but:
I have a LOT of unused retail space on the left and right.
Also this is my biggest gimp, each thread title, on the /forum page, shows the poster's avatar... why? Not only is it a waste of space, it's extremely annoying (and if the poster happens to have a... questionable avatar, then it degrades the look of the website completely).

Bartman

ronan, what we have at the moment is the first iteration of the new software as it was set up for our site. i'm trying to determine how/when to incorporate additional content as well as additional advertising to help pay for projects/improvements and help with the site to bring in even more content and improvements!

When you say real estate do you mean dead areas on either side of the center stack of forums content?

deluge2

@Bartman
Overall the transition to v 1.0 of the New MRF has been very smooth from an end-user perspective. For your list of things to look into, there appears to be a problem with the 'Keep me logged in' (can't remember the exact text) feature. When I log in with that box checked, my credentials are accepted. However as some point later (not sure what the minimum interval is), that log in seems to expire and I have to log in again. This is for Safari 7.0.5 on Mac OS X 10.9.4, in case that useful information...

Steve

Ronan

ronan, what we have at the moment is the first iteration of the new software as it was set up for our site. i'm trying to determine how/when to incorporate additional content as well as additional advertising to help pay for projects/improvements and help with the site to bring in even more content and improvements!

When you say real estate do you mean dead areas on either side of the center stack of forums content?

Yes a lot of blue on the left and right of the screen.

jdennings

Same here when I use a 1080p monitor. Forces a lot of uneccessary scrolling, I can only see two-three small posts at a time.
Also, +1 on preference to see new "sale" posts in New posts.

Otherwise great "new" site!