Stripping and cleaning motors

ROVguy

Given my recent incident with the ground, I'm left with a motor covered in mud. Does anyone here know how to strip down and clean DJI motors? I will probably be purchasing a new motor anyway, but I believe it would be adequate as a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugilt

Given my recent incident with the ground, I'm left with a motor covered in mud. Does anyone here know how to strip down and clean DJI motors? I will probably be purchasing a new motor anyway, but I believe it would be adequate as a spare.

You will need a e-clip remover to do it properly. Remove the motor from the frame and desolder. You need to scrape off some of the conformal coating to desolder it. Pull off the e-clip and the shim washer. Then you can remove the bell housing. Pulling out the bearings out is somewhat of an art form.

mailman35

you can just either wait till the mud drys and just brush it off or just toss it in some distilled water and wash it.

ROVguy

The issue I have is that the mud is inside the motor as well and I want to make sure I've got it all cleaned off. I will give it an initial brush clean and take it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Just some more info if anyone wants to strip and clean down your DJI motors. I pulled the clip on the bottom being careful not to loose it and the shim washer, pulled on the motor housing and split the two units. Removing the bearings in my case as I am replacing them with new ones, was pretty simple. I used a small drift, inserted past the first and tapped lightly to knock the lower one free from the housing, turn over and do the same for the top bearing.

I would rate the difficulty on this as a 2 out of 10, 10 being the most difficult.

Replacement bearing can be found here https://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=122&cat=Bearings

ABEC5 3x8x4 mm bearings (2x)
sku: S693ZZ $2.00 a pair (1 motor)

Replacement bearing for DJI 2212 motor.

Last edited by a moderator: