Straight line problem

jimska

SkyJib with a Wookong FC on 5.20 FW, flying away from me in GPS and the MR will not fly in a straight line, nor will it come back in a straight line when I pull the stick back but it will come back in a straight line if I put it in Home Lock and pull it straight back. Compass points forward and calibrated before flights. Didn't used to have an issue but it's starting to bug me now, any thoughts?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
If you check the documentation in the GPS/Digital compass section you will see instructions on how to correct for that. Its a true north versus magnetic north related issue.
Determine the magnetic angle of declination for your flying area then adjust the GPS module accordingly.

BTW - There have been numerous reports of crashes with some of the other firmware releases...... so stick with FW 5.20 for at least your first 50 flights before you attempt to upgrade FW beyond that.
No point in crashing your MR on the first few flights.

jimska

Hi gtranquilla,

I understand the moving of the GPS puck for the declination etc. but as I said, I've had this MR for a while, 18 months now, and it used to be absolutely fine but recently it's started to misbehave. Any other ideas?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Yes, I recall a similar situation with one of my RCT800 MRs using the WKM at 5.20 fw.
I measured the temperatures on all the motors and ESCs and found three of the motors were running hotter.
Assuming your airframe c of g is still dead center on the horizontal plane, check your motor and esc temperatures.
If any are running hotter than the others..... ground your MR before it grounds itself!!!

Mine crashed shortly after I thought I fixed the problem and now it is to late to fix it!
In my case I suspect it was a WKM hardware issue on the motor output ports because the bench top testing of individual escs and motors would not reveal any issues.
Are you hearing any odd sounds from any of the motors during flight or are you witnessing any sudden sporadic rpm changes in any of the individual motors?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Yes, I recall a similar situation with one of my RCT800 MRs using the WKM at 5.20 fw.
I measured the temperatures on all the motors and ESCs and found three of the motors were running hotter.
Assuming your airframe c of g is still dead center on the horizontal plane, check your motor and esc temperatures.
If any are running hotter than the others..... ground your MR before it grounds itself!!!

Mine crashed shortly after I thought I fixed the problem and now it is to late to fix it!
In my case I suspect it was a WKM hardware issue on the motor output ports because the bench top testing of individual escs and motors would not reveal any issues.
Are you hearing any odd sounds from any of the motors during flight or are you witnessing any sudden sporadic rpm changes in any of the individual motors?

jimska

I've not noticed any of the motors or ESCs getting too hot but the MR does do a 90 yaw on its own every now and then.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
A previous MR 800mm Hex would start to yaw or **** in to a crosswind from time to time when I was trying to fly it for AV work from tee box to green. It has to do with Yaw axis tuning to some degree but sometimes the motors also needed to be canted to help accentuate yaw control. Otherwise the FC control can keep up to do it 100% right all the time.

PMaughan

I've not noticed any of the motors or ESCs getting too hot but the MR does do a 90 yaw on its own every now and then.
Hi Jimska,
are you using retracts? If so do you get the problem with gear down? And do you see it at low speeds too?
cheers
Pete

jimska

Hi PMaughan
I've got retracts yes. I've not tried it with gear down to be honest and at slow creeping speed I think it's OK, at medium speed it veers to the right and in reverse to the left, what do you think? It does rev quite high sometimes but I only notice that when the wind's up so expected I think. Some have mentioned motors may be not level so I was going to take the motors off, booms off and reseat them to see if that fixes it. Your thoughts much appreciated.

jimska

Hi Jimska,
are you using retracts? If so do you get the problem with gear down? And do you see it at low speeds too?
cheers
Pete

Hi PMaughan
I've got retracts yes. I've not tried it with gear down to be honest and at slow creeping speed I think it's OK, at medium speed it veers to the right and in reverse to the left, what do you think? It does rev quite high sometimes but I only notice that when the wind's up so expected I think. Some have mentioned motors may be not level so I was going to take the motors off, booms off and reseat them to see if that fixes it. Your thoughts much appreciated.