Starting with one frame then moving on up with different frame possible?

TechBill

I am still new to the game and still looking for a frame to start with. I think I will start with a Hexa.

But I am wondering if I was to start with a Quad frame and get the controller, motors, ESCs etc. then put it together. Later if I wanted to upgrade frame from Quad to Hexa or Hexa to Octa frame , is it still possible to salvage the hardware off and install it on a upgraded frame?

Will the motor be the same on all frame or does bigger frame mean need a bigger motor?

Is even possible to put a bigger motor on Quad but scale back the power until moving to an upgraded frame?

Thank you for your feedbacks

Bill

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Bill,

The best first question is what are you trying to accomplish? Have any long term goals? Any prior experience building/flying RC?

It helps to know what you're trying to do before offering any advice. If you make a few good decisions now you'll have equipment you can use later so I guess the answer to your original questions is Yes. :)

Hope that helps!
Bart

TechBill

Yes I have experience building R/C planes and cars. I started back in the early 80's. I was an electronic engineering but now finishing up my degree in computer science. Building and soldering is very trivial task for me since I been doing it for the last 30 + years both in my job and as a hobby. I am 50 year old now.

Right now I am waiting to see what FAA requirement will be to use drone for commercial purpose. My goal is to run a side business for powerline inspection or any farming purposes. So basically I will need an aerial video drone but since FAA have not announce the requirement so I thought I would start with a Quad to practice flying drone. I know it not going to be the same as flying an R/C plane.

When it time I want to be able to upgrade to a Hex or Octa to be able to carry a heavier camera for inspection purposes but until then it going to be just for fun since I have no plan to break any laws.

My goal is to offer service to any inspections needs outside of the population area and some low flying aerial filming for like real estate agents etc.

I am leaning toward to this frame kits for my Hex http://rctimer.com/product-1225.html but I haven't decided yet on what frame kits to get for a Quad. I want to be able to take all the parts from a Quad and move it over to the Hex frame kit and add two more motors to it when I feel I am ready to fly more professionally.

Thank you for your feedback!

Bill

TechBill

After doing some researches

I think I will just get good low price Quad frames, ESC, motors etc but get a mid-high end Radio controller to practice with while I invest on a Hexa build with high end ESC and motors etc which will take several months to complete so I have something to play and practice on.

Once I finish the Hexa, I can just take the radio controller and move it over to the Hexa. With the Quad I would either sell it on classified or keep it if my son shows interest in it and get a cheaper radio controller for it.

Quad frame I am thinking about starting will probably something like this http://rctimer.com/product-643.html for a quick build. Or maybe I'll just find a complete kit without the controller and purchase a controller separately because I plan moving it over to Hexa once it done.

I bet R/C clubs around here gonna laugh at me seeing a 700+ dollar controller on a 200 dollar MC lol ...

Bill

TechBill

After more reading, look like I can even save more by getting Taranis radio controller over the two well known controller.

I am Deaf so controller need to be visual and have feedback like vibirate, do Taranis have a feedback or a buzzer loud enough that it can be felt by hands holding it?

Bill