Stabilized lenses on stabilized platforms

DennyR

One of the problems with image stabilization systems inside of the lens is that of recognizing movements which are intentional and those which are not, for example, if you are making a slow pan movement then the lens will hang onto the first position and then let go of it, resulting in jump or an unequal rate in the movement. This is probably what DJI are getting at with this fixed lens aspect.:tennis:

Canon for example recommend turning off IS when a tripod is used.

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Apparently it can run even deeper than that, Denny. Allegedly, some of the in-lens systems do not physically lock the floating lens element when the system is switched "off" so that movement (particularly vibration) can mess things up. I have no idea whether the Sony 18-55 kit zoom has this issue.

I'm guessing that the in-body type of stabilisation is likely to produce the best results on an MR - do you have any experience with such a camera?

DennyR

Apparently it can run even deeper than that, Denny. Allegedly, some of the in-lens systems do not physically lock the floating lens element when the system is switched "off" so that movement (particularly vibration) can mess things up. I have no idea whether the Sony 18-55 kit zoom has this issue.

I'm guessing that the in-body type of stabilisation is likely to produce the best results on an MR - do you have any experience with such a camera?

I don't use any stabilised lenses these days just good camera mounts with integrated MPU6000. Basically a ArduIMU with my own code. Currently using Canon 550D plus GpPro HERO2. I have a nex-7 which is for a customer who is using the 16mm. The Canon uses a standard 50mm lens. The Panasonics that I have are used on other things now. I work with the vibration app on a iphone. The f1 -535 has almost no detectable aerodynamic vibrations due to the structural rigidity of how the motors are mounted.

yeehaanow

One of the problems with image stabilization systems inside of the lens is that of recognizing movements which are intentional and those which are not, for example, if you are making a slow pan movement then the lens will hang onto the first position and then let go of it, resulting in jump or an unequal rate in the movement. This is probably what DJI are getting at with this fixed lens aspect.:tennis:

Canon for example recommend turning off IS when a tripod is used.

On the GH2 at least, I see a definite improvement with IS on. When I had the Canon, I saw no difference, so I think it depends on the lens and how it stabilizes it. The GH2 takes out little micro shakes, almost near vibration so having a few negative side effects is preferable to the little movements.