Sony RX100 Notes

jhardway

In the past when I first got my RX100 I posted some of my opinions on the camera. Overall the camera is not the friendliest for multi rotor purposes, one being never mind for multirotor use, who would put the HDMI output on the bottom of the camera right next to the mounting screw (useless on many levels).

With that said the other day I took a few photos of a local park and when I was done, one of the things I discover that I did not know before is that if you shoot the images in Sony's RAW format when you open up the file in their software, you will end up with the sensors complete capture where if you take the JPEG, you will find the image 30% smaller in it's height.

The other thing that also took me back was the how much the quality jumped when I dump the raw file into a jpeg out of the software. Below i attached a sample of what I am talking about.

I thought this may be something to pass along to any one out there looking or that may have this camera model.

Attached photos go as so, first image is the zoomed in photos at 150% of the middle image, which is the actual photo I got, The third image shows the amount of the image height loss when you are just taking the jpg photo off the camera. Here you can see the shaded out sections on the top and bottom of the software. That is the area you gain when you dump the raw file out of the software into a jpeg.

View attachment 14490View attachment 14491View attachment 14492

Cheers

Attachments

• closeExample_eF_DSC05675.jpg
    closeExample_eF_DSC05675.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 234
  • Example_eF_DSC05675.jpg
    Example_eF_DSC05675.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 200
  • SonySoftwareImage.jpg
    SonySoftwareImage.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 142