Sony NEX-7 + GoPro Gimbal

Jumpy07

I was a lot lighter than my Zenmuse..... Zenmuse with camera is 1.65kg...bare is 1.25kg.. the Thankbuyer gimbal is mix of carbon and ali

Obviously the tilt and roll wont do 360 deg like Zen.. but Yaw will... performance will depend on how well you balance it and setup the Alexmos.... biggest pain was doing all the wiring.. HDMI converter and IR trigger etc.. could d with a few more ways on top slipper ring as well.

Attachments

• 20131211_105246.jpg
    20131211_105246.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 425
  • 20131211_105307.jpg
    20131211_105307.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 430
  • 20131211_104950.jpg
    20131211_104950.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 479
  • 20131211_104956.jpg
    20131211_104956.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited by a moderator:

haha49

Almost all the gimbals are only for the NEX-5R. This means a SEL-16 f2.8 wide angle lens. Note this has no zoom and is favoured by gimbal manufacturers because there is no zoom meaning to altering of the COG. Fine for panoramic views but useless for close ups unless you move the camera close to a subject. A full length photo of an adult filling the picture in landscape and 3:2 ratio you have to get within 8-10 feet of the subject to fill 3/4 of the lens. Not a good idea for safety reasons and useless for structure or building inspections.

If you mount a SEL-50210 on the camera and zoom you can be a long way off so not endangering your subject or craft. Which is why I pose the question - I can't be the only one to have realised that the use of a zoom lens is more desirable and usable than a fixed focal length for AP.

Please remember this is not for fun or FPV this is for pure Pro AP.

I got within 5ft of rock climbers with a gopro but the wind was blowing me away from them so for saftey I stuck to 1 side and the wind would keep me from drifting into them.

Jumpy07

The 16-50mm OSS lens is a great zoom lens for a gimbal.. is optically stabilised which makes it even better.. it is quite short.. and has push button zoom that could be adapted I guess.. once you have it balanced on the gimbal.. zooming wont effect the balance..

CrashMaster

The 16-50mm OSS lens is a great zoom lens for a gimbal.. is optically stabilised which makes it even better.. it is quite short.. and has push button zoom that could be adapted I guess.. once you have it balanced on the gimbal.. zooming wont effect the balance..
I have a NEX-7 and the SELP1650. I have looked at the possibility of using a servo and wheel to move the zoom button but the movement is so small I never got it to work. The other alternative may be to open the lens up and capture the contacts but have resisted, bearing in the mind the cost of failure..
I have almost given up on the zoom in the air and ended up using a pre-set focal length of 30mm. Beyond that I have noticed a little blurring if the wind is over 15mph. Sometimes you can be lucky taking 10-20 frames at least a few are in focus but at or below 30mm all are well focused. One thing I have noticed is that corrugated industrial building roofs are very difficult to focus on. I think it may be something to do with the CMOS getting confused by the massive array or ridges, especially if they are at an angle across the shot. Side on and looking down the ridges is fine??? The GoPro does the same too.