sony nex 5n setting. help please..

bordhead

I just got the sony nex 5n, got it mounted on my s800 ,av130 gimbal and been taking lots of pictures using the
gentLED-SHUTTER cable. Pictures are coming out blurry and out of focus on 50% i take.. can someone give me some basic setting that I should have set on this camera . thanks

I found the gentled on auto focus doesnt do a very good job. I went manual focus and used the focus meter which shows a color of your choice on the areas in focus, back it out on the focus ring as far as it will go and then focus in a bit until most objects in the frame are colored. Good for about 20 feet away and infinity... I had good results. I only used auto focus for the vidz

bordhead

I found the gentled on auto focus doesnt do a very good job. I went manual focus and used the focus meter which shows a color of your choice on the areas in focus, back it out on the focus ring as far as it will go and then focus in a bit until most objects in the frame are colored. Good for about 20 feet away and infinity... I had good results. I only used auto focus for the vidz
focus meter? sorry im very new with this thing.. lll see if i can figure that out. thanks

Bison52

Select menu and select the "Camera" icon. Scroll to the AF/MF option. Choose Manual Focus. Now when you move the focus ring, you should see parts of the image in the LCD outlined in a color. These are the areas that are in focus. I think the default color is red. This is called the peaking color. Why peaking? I have no idea

You can go into the Setup selection and change the peaking color. I would also suggest for stills to adjust the focus so that everything from about 20 feet out to infinity is in focus. You can play with ISO and shutter speed a little so that the aperture is around F8 - F11. That is usually the sweet spot for sharpness with these lenses while still having good depth of field

Enjoy your NEX. It is a great camera.

Bison52

By the way, a lot of people use the Sony 16 mm pancake for their AP lens but I just got the Sigma 19 mm E-mount and really like it a lot.

bordhead

Select menu and select the "Camera" icon. Scroll to the AF/MF option. Choose Manual Focus. Now when you move the focus ring, you should see parts of the image in the LCD outlined in a color. These are the areas that are in focus. I think the default color is red. This is called the peaking color. Why peaking? I have no idea

You can go into the Setup selection and change the peaking color. I would also suggest for stills to adjust the focus so that everything from about 20 feet out to infinity is in focus. You can play with ISO and shutter speed a little so that the aperture is around F8 - F11. That is usually the sweet spot for sharpness with these lenses while still having good depth of field
Enjoy your NEX. It is a great camera.

one more thing..what (shoot mode) should i be in? and whats the green icon (I with camera) should i be in that mode?

Bison52

Shoot mode is a whole host of lessons. Here's some basics. The i mode lets the camera try to determine what kind of scene you are shooting (portrait, landscape, action, etc) and makes the settings based on what it guesses. Frankly, I've never used it, it's for people taking snapshots.

For AP work, I like to use Shutter Priority (S). This means you set the shutter speed and the camera sets the corresponding aperture for the correct exposure.

For example, on a normal full sunlight day, if you set the ISO at 200 and set the shutter at 1/200 the aperture should be about F16. On Shutter Priority, the shutter will stay at 1/200 and the camera will vary the aperture depending on changes in the lighting.

Changing the aperture a stop or two to adjust for lighting isn't a big deal but I'd prefer to leave the shutter at a fairly fast speed for AP work. That's why I use Shutter Priority.

One other thing I like to use sometimes for AP is bracket control. If you press the left side of the control wheel, you should see a number of options on the right side of the LCD. This includes single shooting, continuous shooting etc. Scroll until you see BRK C and it's says Bracket Shooting. What happens now is when you press the shutter once, the camera takes three shots with three different exposures. That gives you three shots to choose from. Very handy when shooting AP and you can't immediately review your shot.

Good luck.

For all the fellow nexers, i paid for a book about the nex5n. Cant remember its name as im at work but i learnd a ****e load from it, and is well written. Its a pdf, im willing to "share" lol just pm me your email.

NicoleJ

Sony is also a good company that offer good action camera with good lens and good video quality. And it is perfect for action sports photography.