Sony FS700

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
So we just got the fs700 in our hands and i am wondering what you pros out there would feel comfortable using to lift it. I have a Naza F450 with stock props, but I dipped the props in epoxy so they should be stronger. Kidding.
Seriously though, is this a SRH only application when we start lifting $10k cameras that weigh 6lbs? It's weight is right around 4lbs with battery and pancake minus eyepiece. Also, need the obvious remote trigger for the slow motion capture as it is always recording in a loop and when you hit the button it stores it at the set rate to the SD. I just ask because most guys I see are using 700 SRH. Even if my 2814's with 12's would lift it, and I am sure it would no problem, i want that added piece of mind flying it. maybe I need to bump up to the next size motors in the form of AXI's and use more rigid props? I know this subject has been beaten to death but now that we are close to lifting it, things get a little more nerve racking. We also got 2 Varizoom heads, so we may just opt to jib/crane the camera and screw the heli. Also, we didnt get it through BH and dont have their replacement plan. We were going to insure everything together through a separate company. Without insurance this camera does not get air time!

My Nikon D4 weights in at 3.7 lbs with 50mm 1.8 lens on it and my cinestar 8 lifts it no problem. 6s, 400kv motors, 14x4.7 props, 10:15 second flight time on 6s10,000

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
6s alone makes a huge difference. What motors are you using? The hex we used on Gymkhana had 6s and the motors were hacker motors each enough to power a 450/500 size heli. It also had 16" props. The heli itself weighed close to 25lbs AUW! we would get 7-8 minutes with 12000mah. I really like how the higher voltage doesnt stress the ESC's as much amperage wise.

DennyR

I have been running the S800 against the Henseliet TDRigid. In calm weather not much to choose, but as the wind gets up and when you want to go fast and cover a large area. The TDR is way ahead but it needs to be flown. I don't want to push the S800 too much as it is not mine. But out of the box it will do what 99% of people would ever want. Real value for money I would say. I recon that lifting a heavy camera like a 700 would be too much for the S800. Maybe they will be doing a Okto version.

One thing Zen users should check now and then is the rubber donuts on the mounting brackets. I would recommend a drop of thin Cyno around the edges as I have seen a couple start to come out of the holes.

Basically 12 push fit rubbers are all that is holding your entire camera and mount to the airframe. As a safety measure I fit a couple of loose tie wraps around the the tube.

I believe Align have just released some pictures of a dedicated 800 size SR Heli for AP.

Ah, here it is....http://helidaily.com/pictures-align-trex-800e-trekker-ariel-photography-version/

http://helidaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/486521_10151117366434544_122660933_n.jpg

Hmm. that is one big mother...800 is too big. I think with heavy lifters, MR or Sr. Dia. is good for endurance but not so good for stability. I like 720 size blades as they come in assymetric profiles and work pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

"If the FS700 has a standard Sony A/V (LANC) connector (which it should)"

Can any of you FS700 Shooters confirm this? Thanks in advance :)

SMP

Jes, would I be correct in assuming you need both yes?

Additionally, (this is probably moot but) assuming LANC would only work with Sony Lenses (Kit 18-200). Have you tried shooting with any Canon EF Lenses??

(Seems most are using Metabones EF adapter and per Metabones site - Af weak and continuous Af not supported)

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Ahh thats good news, our rigs have stratosnappers currently. Thx Ben/Iris

Trying to run down LANC for zoom (Canon XF300 but apparently Sony/Canon share virtually identical LANCs)