Sony a6000?

Old Man

I've been looking for a new camera and leaning towards the Sony a6000 for a mirrorless option that doesn't break the bank. Checking the other forums on the site there does not seem to be much info available for the camera in multirotor use.

Does anyone here have any input, pro or con about the a6000? Thanks to all that are in the know.

Kilby

The A6000 comes from a long line of cameras that have been used in aerial applications for a number of years, the NEX line. I have been using an NEX 5 for a few years and more recently upgraded to the A6000. It's a great camera for the need and I'm sure you will love it. The larger sensor of the 6000 was a welcome bonus for me over the NEX 5. The A6000 still has all the outputs and triggers that you need for AP, so you will do fine with one of these on your bird.

-Terry

Old Man

Thanks Terry. If you have time for another question, what's your opinion of their 16mm lens, or is there a better option for general use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hjls3

Im a fan of the 2.8 20mm from sony - found it much sharper over entire pic as compared too the 16mm

Old Man

Everything I've researched shows the camera to be very good (in class) for stills and pretty darn good for video. Up to about 29 minutes continuous of video. Very fast in auto focus. The GH4 was another option in the size class but some side by side comparisons at several photo sites and independents had the a6000 on top over all every time. Crazy ISO's with the a6000, and it's pretty light.

It better be good cuz I just ordered a body and 3 lenses. Now for the gimbal...

Jumpy07

I use the A6000 mostly for stills.. video is good enough for TV.. but the codec is AVCHD at 28mb/s... the 5100 has the XAVC codec which has a higher bit rate at 50mb/s ..... I tend to use my GH4 for video most of the time anyway.. rumour is that Sony may be releasing a firmware update for the A6000 for XAVC... but no dates... I don't think the 5100 has IR port for shutter trigger like the 6000>

You wont use AF for video.. its fine for stills.. but hunts too much for video..

Timtim

I also have the Sigma 19mm which is hugely better than the Sony 16mm particularly in the corners. The Sony is sharper with the wide angle adapter, but the Sigma wins hands down IMO

hjls3

Im using one on NEX Z15 Zenmuse with BMPC Micro HDMI cable - works great. small bit of rebalance and all was good.

Old Man

I figure I'll never be a cinematographer selling stuff to the high end movie market so I needed something that would shoot good stills and provide some video flexibility. The Phantom/Go Pro crowd is going to saturate the low end video market shortly and I can't find a reason to get into a race to the bottom while they cut each others throats.

There's also the need for a camera in the size class that would fit a smaller gimbal that would be used for other payload types used for vertical capture in applications other than typical video/still photo work. I prefer having tools that can serve more than one application whenever possible.

Last edited by a moderator: