Solder and Wire Gauge

SYNDK8

Skyvokker
I just got all my parts and need to go get the basics. Please check out my setup below as I need your helpful recommendations on solder, soldering iron, and gauge wire.

View attachment 3818View attachment 3819View attachment 3820

Could you guys recommend:

1) Soldering iron: 20A, 30A, or 40A ? flat tip or pointy tip?
2) Solder: ?? (confused salesman was no help) I am guessing I need 60/40 with flux.

3) can I use one gauge wire for the both motor setups?
3a) Wire Gauge - Motor Setup A:
3b) Wire Gauge - Motor Setup B:

Thanks.

Attachments

• F450.jpg
    F450.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 427
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 418
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 304
Last edited by a moderator:

ghaynes

For soldering I bought a Hakko FX-951 and three tips. T15-D12, T15-BLL, T15-D2. The D2 works great on soldering Deans connectors onto battery cables. This unit has plenty of power. Solder I am using 60/40 with 3.3% flux.

jes1111

40W iron (you can never have too much power, unless you're doing SMD perhaps). Interchangeable tips is a great idea - get at least small pointy one and one blunt (screwdriver) one.

Regular 60/40 solder - the "exotics" are trickier to solder with. The "no clean" flux is a good idea but "best practice" is to use a proprietary flux cleaner (usually an aerosol with a brush nozzle) after soldering.

Use the heavier gauge wire for both setups - if the wire never feels hot after flying a full pack, you could save a tiny amount of weight by going down a size.

Good luck :)