So where do Phanton owners get their brains?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
it's a horrible situation right now.......but.......maybe if we all hang in there and try to provide guidance like........"Dude, hovering that heli over a bunch of young girls won't get you laid any more than all of those years you spent playing Dungeons and Dragons and eating smores..and it happens to be dangerous to the people around you that have the right to presume they're safe when they attend a public event."

in the hoards of Phantom pilots there have got to be a lot of safe users that have common sense and who are not wearing their grandmother's blue jeans in public. Am I right?

Av8Chuck

I don't know if your right, but your funny..

I know this might be a surprise but he looked like the only guy in that crowd stupid enough to by a Phantom in the first place. I think the reaction of the crowd is telling, they didn't give it a second thought, some girls almost walked directly under it, I don't think most of them knew what it was.

That was amazing.

Old Man

I've been flying RC in various formats for close to 50 years, all the way up to giant scale gassers and 3d. Not once in all of these years have I experienced or met someone that has experienced a female fawning over them because of their skills in the hobby. OTH, regarding people not noticing, most prey don't look up.

Lets add this to the drone fail vids!....Im guessing like all other fail videos on youtube people will always always do stupid things thats just human nature
I dont see the point getting all fussed about vids like this...in every aspect of recreation people get hurt, hurt others...drink and drive...kill each other etc etc

You could have a 100 rules re flying drones...who is going to inforce?, IMHO if on the other side you make money from flying...damm right you need to be certified...for the average jo where you can buy a drone at the local mall...WHO CARES as it will be impossible to control/regulate

Av8Chuck

Think about what your really saying, force people who take this seriously as a profession to pay a lot to purchase certified MR's and to get certified but allow idiots like this to do what they want. Why, because we get paid.

That's "performance punishment and non performance rewarding." Its A$$ backwards.

How many on this forum who want to make a living doing AP would launch in the middle of a crowd? Interesting thing is, as insane as this is according to the most recent interpretation of the hobby of sUAS's as long as that guy wasn't doing it commercially, just for the passion of it he may not have even broken the rules. But if I'm in the middle of a 40 acre ranch shooting aerial commercially I'm breaking the law.

So clearly what's happening isn't about safety nor are they employing common sense.

SamaraMedia

it's a horrible situation right now.......but.......maybe if we all hang in there and try to provide guidance like........"Dude, hovering that heli over a bunch of young girls won't get you laid any more than all of those years you spent playing Dungeons and Dragons and eating smores..and it happens to be dangerous to the people around you that have the right to presume they're safe when they attend a public event."

in the hoards of Phantom pilots there have got to be a lot of safe users that have common sense and who are not wearing their grandmother's blue jeans in public. Am I right?

Bart,

You're right. I own a P2, a Disco Pro with Kloner arms getting ready to move it to 6s with 14's on t-motor 3508-380kv motors. I also have a Rusty's UAP1 hexa with KDE motors, 14 in props, 6s with Zenmuse H3-3D. I built a quad from square aluminum extruded tubes with a Zenmuse H3-2D. I'm on vacation in RI this week and brought the P2 and Disco Pro. I know I will fly the P2 over the ocean if there are some surfers at the lighthouse but will think twice about sending the Disco Pro out unless conditions are right, would rather lose a P2 to the swells than a Pro if something were to go wrong. I trust the Pro more than the P2 setup wise but I fly all my gear with the same regard to safety,

John

I hear ya, often common sense comes either after you have an accident or after you have earnt/paid for something...its a case of your always a 'good driver' until you have an accident...thats why its called an accident

Im just keeping it real for every video on youtube there are 100's that are not uploaded....in this day and age cellphone footage would be shot long before an ambulance would arrive so in that respect 'drone flights' in general have done well in respect to the amount of them flying around vs accidents hitting the news

Paying for certification goes hand in hand with liability insurance/feel good insurance in any industry

Should you have a license to drive a car? yes!, does that stop people from driving without one or driving disqualified? NO!

Im waiting here in NZ for clear direction as to what is what re being certified...everything we create has the ability/option to be misused hence Ill control what I can control and not loose sleep over the many future controverisal videos that people love to publish for all to see...we all love the hype!

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Sorry, rhetorical question because they don't actually have a brain.

Hey now, I've got a Phantom :upset:

(and 7 other multis at the moment... do I get a pass??)

I've been flying RC in various formats for close to 50 years, all the way up to giant scale gassers and 3d. Not once in all of these years have I experienced or met someone that has experienced a female fawning over them because of their skills in the hobby.

I have!

...but she was about 9, and thought my buddy's Edge was pretty :D

Dewster

lol. I was expecting to see another multi bite the dust. These things are cheap and relatively easy to fly. There should be simple do's and don'ts included with these craft to help guide people in responsible flying. DJI implemented a feature that restricts the Phantom from flying near airports. They just need to implement a feature for preventing brainless operators from taking flight.

Dewster

Here's an idea for DJI and the other flight controllers on the market: Prior to taking flight the user should be required to pass a scenario based test which encompasses general AMA flight rules. Once successfully passed, the activation code will allow the Phantom or what ever RTF craft is out there to fly. These occurrence could be reduced with a little awareness. It may help save the industry and limit liability.

ChrisViperM

To be honest....I don't like the Phantom. Main reason is this:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...rived-Kopterworx&p=76963&viewfull=1#post76963 (check post #16).....

It's just soooo damn ugly.....

But apart from that.....if it's sitting on the workbench, kitchen table, garage, it's doing....nothing. Not dangerous, just sitting there and being ugly....
Only once the guy - who swallowed all the DJI maketing crap and bought that dingi - connects the battery to it and let it rip in the middle of a big city, having thrown the manual away with the box - who needs to read that stupid manual anyways - the danger starts.

So....who's fault is it ???

Apart from that, there is also a bunch of Phantom pilots out there who act responsible and know what they are doing....but they won't be in the news.
It's always easy to find a common enemy to blame for each and everything.

PS: On the 3rd December 2012 the Phantom was announced on this Forum by one of our sponsors.....a few hours later this was the response of one of our members:

actually to tell the through i totally understand DJI from a business stand point. But this thing will be in the hands of the most unexperienced users creating bad press for the scene. Yes there are similar models RTF around but not necessarily with GPS giving it the autonomous touch and not in the amounts they will sell these. I don't know....could results in a few stunts done by reckless pilots resulting in regulations that harm us all !

Boris

Is he a fortune teller....????

Chris

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Think about what your really saying, force people who take this seriously as a profession to pay a lot to purchase certified MR's and to get certified but allow idiots like this to do what they want. Why, because we get paid.

That's "performance punishment and non performance rewarding." Its A$$ backwards.

How many on this forum who want to make a living doing AP would launch in the middle of a crowd? Interesting thing is, as insane as this is according to the most recent interpretation of the hobby of sUAS's as long as that guy wasn't doing it commercially, just for the passion of it he may not have even broken the rules. But if I'm in the middle of a 40 acre ranch shooting aerial commercially I'm breaking the law.

So clearly what's happening isn't about safety nor are they employing common sense.

+1!

It's also interesting, I think, that normal people don't seem to recognize the danger in these things at all, as evidenced by this video. I went to Sparkfun Autonomous Vehicle Competition last month. I was having trouble with the yaw control of my heli. So I was working on it in the pits, and took the main blades off. I took it out to a clear area just outside the tent, and spun it up so I could see what was going on with the tail system. Immediately all these people gathered around to see what I was doing, and were standing way too close. I was not in a good mood and had to growl at them to stand back. I was seriously annoyed... why do you guys stand within 5 feet of a guy swinging a blender on a stick around?

And that's where the rest of your post really comes into play. I took the main blades off, and attempted to work in a safe way. I never fly near people. In fact, after I fixed the problem, I went for some test flights (it's just a 500, bad enough but not TOO bad). I kept walking out away from people (>200 feet) . And people kept walking through the area so I didn't fly. I had to keep moving. I ended up having to walk way far away, and just did a quick test at low altitude.

But, since I'd had a problem, and was not confident in the reliability of the system, I retired from the competition. I flew all the way to Colorado for this competition, and I didn't fly in it at all. Because I didn't think the system was proven reliable enough yet. It wasn't worth the risk.

Yet, I am having trouble getting UAV insurance, because they are afraid of the fact that I am a "Developer". One of them actually said that 'if he was using a proven system like a Phantom'... How sad is that?

janoots2

Bart - you hit the nail on the head for a certain demographic of the phantom flyers and that demographic is the RC introvert but now instead of gaining social acceptance at the RC field with a similar demo, they try to get socially rewarded by taking their craft and 'skills' to 'show off' in front of the general population.

This guy obviously wanted social attention, because if he wanted good shots he would have gained altitude and got them. Instead he got under the craft after takeoff to ensure people knew he is the one controlling it, let it hover at human wind pipe/jugular height and even was stupid enough to completely take his eyes off the craft to talk with some chicks.

What scares me is that this 'social' reward is trumping safety.

Dude - loose the jeans, go to the gym and get a personality.

And yes I will personally attack you as you continue to endanger people who don't know the risks associated with your actions.

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
Initial comment on the vid > #idiot

There are a lot of good comments in this thread but it still doesn't help the situation any. Wasn't it just last week an NYPD chopper tried to fly into two phantom's 2000' agl above brooklyn bridge? I personally am partial to the licensing idea, I have a $5m liability on all my copters and am the first to call it if I don't feel right while on a shoot. The problem is those of us doing it professionally get it, the rest just don't have a clue what they are doing to the industry as a whole. It's getting to the point where people that are creating lively-hood's from thousands of hours of building/testing/flying are going to have lost an entire income stream that in the end has the potential to better humanity and life on earth.

For this I am always on the lookout for the "idiot" with a Phantom and ready to tear a strip out of them at any given time. Hell i'd fly circles around them, make them dizzy and crash them but alas I couldn't because they weren't flying somewhere safe. I suppose that I could get around that by inviting them out to a field to fly together one day and challenging them to a duel. Hmmm... I should sometimes not be left alone with my thoughts.... #phantompolicing #westernstyle

IM0001

Initial comment on the vid > #idiot

There are a lot of good comments in this thread but it still doesn't help the situation any. Wasn't it just last week an NYPD chopper tried to fly into two phantom's 2000' agl above brooklyn bridge? I personally am partial to the licensing idea, I have a $5m liability on all my copters and am the first to call it if I don't feel right while on a shoot. The problem is those of us doing it professionally get it, the rest just don't have a clue what they are doing to the industry as a whole. It's getting to the point where people that are creating lively-hood's from thousands of hours of building/testing/flying are going to have lost an entire income stream that in the end has the potential to better humanity and life on earth.

For this I am always on the lookout for the "idiot" with a Phantom and ready to tear a strip out of them at any given time. Hell i'd fly circles around them, make them dizzy and crash them but alas I couldn't because they weren't flying somewhere safe. I suppose that I could get around that by inviting them out to a field to fly together one day and challenging them to a duel. Hmmm... I should sometimes not be left alone with my thoughts.... #phantompolicing #westernstyle

#PhantomJousting

Just saying.

Old Man

There's a saying; "You can't engineer out stupid". Unfortunately vendors make their living off the "stupid" so the condition is self perpetuating. They have no impetus to educate the buyers for if they did they would have fewer buyers.