Slowly Losing Calibration.

jhardway

IrisAerial posted a question about losing calibration in the general comment section. His question was directed about losing calibration if a copter sits for some time. It kinda hit a cord with me and I am trying to figure out what might be going on in my situation.

I have two copters both on WK-M FC's, on my lighter copter I do not seem to lose calibration ofter but I do find the compass deviation adjustment is greater then what the magnetic true is for my area. Even though if that is set the copter flies fairly ok I still am getting some adjustment from time to time. The adjustment of straight is not huge but enough to make you wonder what is going on. After many flights of this and also seeing it before on some of my other copters, I am not so much worried these days, I just will perform a calibration from time to time to tighten up the copter proformace.

Now on my Octo copter which is much heavier, and much bigger. I find the calibration problem much worst, what I mean by that, after a few flights I find the copter flying almost 40 degrees off what it was set for, at that point I will see some white light. Once I calibrate the system again the copter is off and flying fairly well.

I am wondering if anyone have seen such issues ??? if so what was the cause???? and what did they do to correct the issue ????

My current guess is one of two things, first being that the copter is heavy and when it makes yaw adjustments that the copter takes longer to make the correction. Since the correction is taking more time that the FC is still not true to where its telling the copter to be, when it has another correction, at that point the FC puts out another correction and as it keeps doing this.

Eventually what the FC has for the magnetic compass is different then what the compass is throwing out.

The other theory is that I am dealing with some electrical fields coming off the battery, if that is the case my question is what's the most sensitive to this problem, the magnetic compass, the gyros, or both????

I look foward in hearing back from all.

cheers

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The problems you are experiencing seem to be quite common to those who have moved from Quad to a Hex or Octo especially if the Hex or Octo has flat arms and those arms are any longer than 550mm. This is an inherent mechanical not FC control issue that even Mikrokopter had for awhile. DJI resolves in on their S800 by means of the upward slanted Hex arms. MikorKopter resolves in by slanting several of the motors laterally not radially. This info came from Quadrocopter USA and they should know. I have more info on this but can't seem to attach the Mikrokopter pdf file to this posting (only photos and videos). If you are wondering about the cause.... I am still trying to iron that out.....

IrisAerial posted a question about losing calibration in the general comment section. His question was directed about losing calibration if a copter sits for some time. It kinda hit a cord with me and I am trying to figure out what might be going on in my situation.

I have two copters both on WK-M FC's, on my lighter copter I do not seem to lose calibration ofter but I do find the compass deviation adjustment is greater then what the magnetic true is for my area. Even though if that is set the copter flies fairly ok I still am getting some adjustment from time to time. The adjustment of straight is not huge but enough to make you wonder what is going on. After many flights of this and also seeing it before on some of my other copters, I am not so much worried these days, I just will perform a calibration from time to time to tighten up the copter proformace.

Now on my Octo copter which is much heavier, and much bigger. I find the calibration problem much worst, what I mean by that, after a few flights I find the copter flying almost 40 degrees off what it was set for, at that point I will see some white light. Once I calibrate the system again the copter is off and flying fairly well.

I am wondering if anyone have seen such issues ??? if so what was the cause???? and what did they do to correct the issue ????

My current guess is one of two things, first being that the copter is heavy and when it makes yaw adjustments that the copter takes longer to make the correction. Since the correction is taking more time that the FC is still not true to where its telling the copter to be, when it has another correction, at that point the FC puts out another correction and as it keeps doing this.

Eventually what the FC has for the magnetic compass is different then what the compass is throwing out.

The other theory is that I am dealing with some electrical fields coming off the battery, if that is the case my question is what's the most sensitive to this problem, the magnetic compass, the gyros, or both????

I look foward in hearing back from all.

cheers