Slop

meriachee

I got 6 Multistar motors for the Tarot, 5 are just about perfect, but one seems to have about .010" of play in the bearing. When testing the motors with the PixHawk, the sloppy one makes some noise, not electrical, but mechanical. Does anybody have any idea what kind of tolerances are acceptable?

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Is the play axial or radial? If it's axial, check that the C-clip in the bottom is in place correctly.

meriachee

It's radial. I noticed that there was a different sound to it when I was running the PixHawk motor tests. It feels like the shaft is ever so slightly undersized. You can't really see the deflection, but you can feel it. Given the rpm that these things turn at, I'd say that this is not an instant failure, but I'm not going to bet the farm on it lasting.

Pumpkinguy

No way any bearing that size would have 10 thou of radial play. Take motor apart. Shaft is likely undersized.

meriachee

It's only a true statement in as much as one needed to maintain a certain degree of modicum in dealing with the "process". The motor got replaced, and that much is great. Painless, not even close.