Skyjib X4 with 540mm booms + KDE5215XF-435 - too much and powerful?

What do you think of a Skyjib X4 with 540mm booms + KDE5215XF-435 - too much and powerful?
Do you think the motors are too big for the frame?

My plan:
Skyjib X4 with retractable landing gear
8x KDE5215XF-435 with 18x6.1 props
8x KDEXF-UAS75HV
Wookong FC

+ Canon 5d with very heavy lenses and heavy gimbal.
I would like to have a system which runs almost idle throttle rather than screaming.

Do you think the motors are too big for the frame?

dazzab

I always run my specs by the staff at Aeronavics but that looks ok to me. Just as an aside, I took my full frame DSLR off my Skyjib X4 lite and replaced it with a Panasonic GH4. It's much lighter and gives me much better results. Although the Canon 5d certainly is the 'go to camera' right now for sure. But you won't be doing any 4k video with it. All depends on what you are planning to shoot.

AirShooter

FlyCam UAV
I'm flying the X4 - X8 with 540mm booms it, KDE 4014 380's A2 and two 10000mah Pulse 6's
With 540mm booms and 18" props you cannot use the retracts from Aeronavics, I just went through this ordeal and ended up going tripod style like a MoVi MR I have only flown a Canon 5D Mk3 with it and it can for sure lift more, so you will have a monster with the 5215's. I considered those and may upgrade in the future if needed.

I'm flying the X4 - X8 with 540mm booms it, KDE 4014 380's A2 and two 10000mah Pulse 6's
With 540mm booms and 18" props you cannot use the retracts from Aeronavics, I just went through this ordeal and ended up going tripod style like a MoVi MR I have only flown a Canon 5D Mk3 with it and it can for sure lift more, so you will have a monster with the 5215's. I considered those and may upgrade in the future if needed.
I see! That's not good! There was no other alternative for the retractable landing gear on the market? Do you think the original skyjib retractable landing gear would work with the shorter 500mm booms rather than the 540mm ones?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

One thing to consider, with the Movi style gear and turn table your gear will never fail, or be in the frame. A few little screws is all you need to remove to make the copter flat and the entire gimbal/gear slides into a shipping box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Racerx1962

What do you guys think about a 800 class QUAD running KDE 4014s/KDE 55A ESCs/17.55s/dual 6S 8000s to lift a GH4 and gimbal? I know lots of folks are going X8, but do you need that much power to fly a GH4? I know there are other advantages to an X8 besides more power... redundancy and wind handling; but I would think quality components on a simplified platform would trump the complexity of an X8. The specs on the 4014s or the 3520s spinning 17s on a quad appear to be in line with a GH4 rig to me, but I wanted to get other opinions.

Dragen

• 410 and 500mm booms are standard on a SkyJib-X4 while 540mm booms are non-standard.
  • The X4-XL uses 500x2mm booms to handle the 5215's thrust, rather than the 1.5mm thickness of the standard booms.
  • The X4-XL also uses 2mm centre-plates rather than the 1.5mm of the smaller craft to counter possible centre-plate flex.

AirShooter

FlyCam UAV
I see! That's not good! There was no other alternative for the retractable landing gear on the market? Do you think the original skyjib retractable landing gear would work with the shorter 500mm booms rather than the 540mm ones?
Thanks!
I spoke with Simon at Aeronavics, he said 500mm max to use the retracts, but you may want to contact them to confirm

Efliernz

Pete
Retracts... I see Aeronavics now sell a tube system instead of the old flat plate system. Awesome... they supplied the wrong extra-long legs for my friends SJ6 Ti and it was unstable in the yaw... in fact it was unflyable... until Simon realized they had supplied the wrong ones. Those long flat vanes in the downwash must real mess up with the yaw dynamics... go for round tubes if possible imho...

Pete