SkyJib Octocopter for Filmmaking with RED Epic

Eggbeater

Pdb

Nice, that's using your head! I did something similar, but had the ESC wires soldered directly to the washers with no connectors.

Which connectors are those? They look nice.

Thanks. A shallow wallet is the Mother of invention. They are Hyperions but anything will work. What I never use is those expanded "watermelon" bullets. Over time the tongues seem to break especially if no anti-spark is used. I like solid metal barrels and I always add a bit of dielectric grease to each. Every once in a while I wipe the connectors with a Q-tip to get the carbon off and the black comes off with the old grease. My barrels seem to have far less pitting and last longer. Your idea to solder directly is the best connection scheme in my opinion. The less connectors, the better. But my MR design needed to have disconnect points for troubleshooting and modular repairs. So I concentrated on making the connectors good quality. The important lesson here, I think, is that my little device may be able to momentarily carry 500 amps without frying. But an electrical circuit is only as good as it's individual components. And the weakest component is where it is likely to fail first. What can the gauge wire carry? The connectors? Etc. In my design, I was concerned mostly about cross-arching from pos to neg at the edge of the power distribution circle. If you put enough electricity to something, the current can jump across the gap. I staggered the barrels, put a layer of G10, FR4 in between and insulated everywhere as best I could. With these MR's, I don't expect any huge loads but you never know. No problems so far and holding up to the rigors of a pretty big bird. EGG