Aeronavics / Droidworx Skyjib 8 motor options - looking for longest flight times

Walky000

Hi guys,

I have just decided to get a SJ8 after much looking at MR craft the past few months. I have flown fixed wing and heli's years back, and now as a keen photographer, I want something to take my camera gear.

I have ordered the frame, and need to get the rest, but motor wise I would love to hear what people are using. I am not looking for the heavy lifter, more looking for longer flight times. I will be lifting Nikon DSLR and lens and am puzzled as to the best motor choice to get the longer flights.
I know Droidworx used to recommend the AXi 2812/? or something like that, and many people seem to use those motors, but now DW recommend Tiger motors, so I was curious if anyone has used the factory recommended Tiger motor setup, and is that setup geared towards heavy lifting?

I'm torn on the WKM, or Hoverfly Pro, but want something to control a gimbal, and I'm looking at the Cinestar 3 axis instead of PH AV200 etc after all my reading.

Much to learn it seems, but I'd appreciate any real world experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Wayne

Bluerex

Hi Wayne,
I built the XM coax to lift my Canon 550d, knowing what I know now I would probably choose the larger SkyJib.
I used the Axis 2812/22 on 5S and they get pretty warm with a 7kg take-off weight - hence the move to the Tigers on 6S by Droidworx (just make sure your ESC can handle 6S). I really like the portability of the coax vs the classic Octo format.
Forget the AV200 and start trolling the Brushless Gimbal threads (and the brushless CS conversions)- I have an AV130 gathering dust after a prolonged battle (fine for a GoPro but not work with anything heavier). I have a second TX / Rx to run my gimbal, but with the "Yaw follow" function of the AlexMos controller setup, the 3 axis is quite flyable on my own.

I also have a Hoverfly (with GPS) in a box that was replaced with a Wook and I have never looked back.

Charles.
Build thread - http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?7267-XM-X4-Build-log

Hi have a coaxial skyjib, with tiger 3515 motors 400kv and xoar 15x5 props, running 6s battery. Thats going to give you pretty good flight times, but you could look into even lower kv motor like a 320kv which would give you a bit more efficiency. So far ive been getting 14 minutes with 2x8000mah batteries and a total weight of 9.5 kg

Bluerex Why did you switch controllers? I thought HF was meant to be really good?

Bluerex

9.5kg - wow what a monster :)

The hoverfly was going through some... growing pains? in January when I made the switch. I had it installed in a hex frame that showed some really scary flight characteristics (switching on Alt hold caused it to drop 3m), now to be fair the developers have been working hard and (unlike some) are very communicative and involved with their users. BUT the WKM has been totally predictable for a non-RC pilot like myself. I switched to a V3 GPS early in my shakedown period and it flies like it's on wires.

c

Walky000

Gents,
Thanks for the replies. I noted that DW recommend the [h=2]MN4014/11 – 330KV[/h]but they give very little info about whether it will lift the likes of a Red.

I did see somewhere they recommended the 3515 at one point, and now what appears to be s smaller motor in the 4014. So damn confusing.

Not being the electrical genius, I wonder if getting a smaller kv motor (lower kv=more efficient yes?) and spinning it fast with higher voltage Lipo is better than a higher kv rated motor spinning at similar speeds with lower voltage? Will the smaller motor lift less even at higher speeds?
Given the motors are not easily changeable, especially as you have to replace all 8, and they could be an expensive investment if you choose poorly, I'm really trying to get my head around the best option before buying.

Thanks for the advice on the FC, I'm probably going WKM, but need to see if it controls Gimbal, I'm reading, slowly :D

I'm running the AMP500kv motors with the AMP carbon fiber 15x5 props and getting right at 10 minutes with epic and f55. 6s 10900 max amps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Vortex

If you're flying in Australia. Keep in the back of your mind that if your model weighs more than 7kgs and less than 25kgs it requires a Heavy Model permit which is valid for 3 years and can only be flown at approved MAAA flying fields for "non-commercial operations"......Unless you have a CASA OC and UAV pilot's licence........

Regards,

Lance

Walky000

I'm running the AMP500kv motors with the AMP carbon fiber 15x5 props and getting right at 10 minutes with epic and f55. 6s 10900 max amps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That sounds like a good combo if you get 10 mins on a RED. Thanks for the info.

If you're flying in Australia. Keep in the back of your mind that if your model weighs more than 7kgs and less than 25kgs it requires a Heavy Model permit which is valid for 3 years and can only be flown at approved MAAA flying fields for "non-commercial operations"......Unless you have a CASA OC and UAV pilot's licence........

Regards,

Lance

Lance, thanks for that info. I have an application pending with CASA for the AOC, and I am a PPL -A/H, so obtaining the UAV operators cert should be pretty easy. The big issue is public liability insurance, and insurance for my very exe camera gear while in the air.
I am waiting on some quotes, and terms, but suspect it is going to be scary.

Vortex

Lance, thanks for that info. I have an application pending with CASA for the AOC, and I am a PPL -A/H, so obtaining the UAV operators cert should be pretty easy. The big issue is public liability insurance, and insurance for my very exe camera gear while in the air.
I am waiting on some quotes, and terms, but suspect it is going to be scary.

Nothing is ever easy with CASA........Believe me!!! It's actually an OC not an AOC which is what Air Charter Operators need which is similar but different. A PPL is a good start but I know when I made my application they were asking for a CPL and an IFR rating.....Add to that you'll need to log flying training time with a Gold Wing Heli Instructor or the Equipment Manufacturer with your particular UAV (as they refer to it)

PM me if I can help you with anything.

Regards,

Lance

Walky000

I know you are right with CASA, I own a share in 2 aircraft, and with AD's etc they are pedantic, and painful. Given I have a PPL-H and MECIR(A), I may be able to skip logging the flight training time you mention. There is definitely no requirement for a CPL and/or IREX, particularly as UAV's don't (as far as I know-military excepted) have ADF's, RMI's, GNSS, or ILS so in all probability they will be operated only in VMC, and usually VLOS.
They have a new exam (easier) in the making for UAV's, but it, like most other CASA stuff will take quite a bit of time to reach fruition.

Thanks for the offer of assistance Lance, it is certainly appreciated.

regards,
Wayne