Sky Hero versus TBS Discovery Pro

Nitrox25

Hi everyone

I am completely new to flying anything and trying to decide whether to start with a Disco Pro and the Sky Hero (X3 or X4).

I am perfectly aware that as a newbie I am expected to start out with a DJI F450 or similar to get my wings, but I have decided this will not do.
For me it is all or nothing and I have decided that all has a max. budget of aprox. 4000 euro which seems to be awfully easy to spend on a multirotor.

So on the plus side I have some money to spend and some extremely talented colleagues who is ready to help me with their experience and skills.

What I am asking here is mainly which of the above is the better choice.

My target is a platform which will help me get started but which will also allow for growth in direction FPV and Gimbal for a Nex 5 or 7.
I know the TBS is all about FPV and I have read of people who forgot about their Disco Pro after buying a Sky Hero x6, so is anything really speaking for the Disco?

If Sky Hero the next big question will be which one, will the x6 or x8 be better for a Nex 5 with gimbal?

You still have a TON of reading to do. If you want to fly a NEX 5 or 7, the Disco Pro will not be the one. I think they are set up for gopro, although you may be able to mount a gimbal under it, but it is not what the design is for. Information on the Sky Hero is limited, you could probably attach a gimbal that will work with a Nex, but not plug and play. You may need to keep looking. Disco will be good for FPV, but I don't think it is a good first ship. If you break the frame in a crash, you have o buy an expensive frame as many of the electronics are built in, and you WILL crash as a noob. If your colleagues have experience and skill, have them help you build one or learn to fly on a beginner rig. The sky Hero frames look nice, but again, expensive to fix in a crash. And did I mention you WILL crash (even if you have experienced friends) Also, where do you mount the fpv gear (camera, Vtx, antennas, OSD, etc.) ? I am sure someone else will chime in and say something similar.

There are a ton off inexpensive options. If you really want to spend all of that money, buy the cheap one and send me the rest. I am guessing either way it will go in the trash within a few weeks. Or prove me wrong, but keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Sounds good, can you post up some of the links about people forgeting about their Disco Pro's, would be great to read about my next quad and what others are finding.

I can't see the X3 and X4 you speak of, can you post links to these please.

Cheers

SMP

Pete, If you're hauling a GoPro around you'd be hard pressed to find a better craft than the DiscoPro. About the only one that comes close that I know of is the QAV540 something or other.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Pete, If you're hauling a GoPro around you'd be hard pressed to find a better craft than the DiscoPro. About the only one that comes close that I know of is the QAV540 something or other.

Nope apparently many are not using them anymore because the Sky Hero is so good, sounds compelling to me but I want links and info from the OP.

Nitrox25

Before this gets out of hand, I have to say I only found one guy who mentioned that after getting a Sky Hero he had stopped flying his Disco Pro, I did not mean to say that Sky Hero will make all people stop flying Discovery Pro.

I think the TBS is a great quad and I would love to have one, but right now I just need to get started and I want to get it right the first time.
My reason for buy the Sky Hero over the TBS only have to do with the ability to upgrade it with a proper gimbal able to carry more than a GoPro

Would love to hear from other who actually have a Sky Hero, as for Disco Pro owners I have not yet read a negative review except maybe for the limitations of the GoPro cameras

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have a Sky Hero Spyder. It’s a very high quality machine. The carbon is excellent.
besides that, it will fly as good as your controller will.
The size lends itself for a larger gimbal like a NEX 5 type deal. Many guys have used them.

I think if you are looking to do FPV, it would be overkill, but if you want an FPV/gimbaled machine it’s very nice.
I did the review of the Skyhero on RCGroups.,com look it up.

Also I have a deal on my Skyhero in the classifieds right now. I’m more into larger AV rigs so I fear the Skyhero won’t get much flying time,
so I’m letting it go!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
LOL, sorry guys I was having a joke, I have my Disco's for quite specific usage and they are pretty much perfect for what I want to fly.

I also have 450 quads and bigger hexes and again for very specific usage, if someone has stopped using their Disco Pro then they had the wrong machine in the first place and simply then went and bought a rig that was better suited for what they do.

Cheers and Merry Christmas all.

Pete

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
I can understand Nitrox25 wanting to get moving but the F450 etc are part of the learning curve. I started with big ideas back in January and it cost a lot of money to get the experience now gained. I would suggest build a 450 and a 550 and even a Disco from 450 parts. The time will not be wasted I can assure you. I have now built 6 machines and run a pair of home built XproHeli XP2s with gimbals plus an F550 with upgraded motors as my working fleet. I plan to build a Vulcan Mantis for a particular application in the near future. There is no substitute for experience and that is what you need to use this ever evolving technology.

Nitrox25

It is an honor to have you answer my thread Mr. SleepyC, I really enjoyed your review on the other forum.

Actually I have no doubt that I want to buy the Sky Hero, maybe if I will buy a Disco Pro later if I find that it is the right hobby for me.
I do not really see why a Sky Hero Spyder should be harder to learn on than a F450, I think for most it is more a question of the amount of money they are willing to risk crashing.
For sure I will have some crashes, but as long as we are not talking 10K$ pro rigs I do not really see the big issue, most parts are replaceable and how often do you write off a quad completely after a crash....

One thing I will save on initially will be FPV and Gimbals, I figure all this is not really needed to learn how to fly, will instead throw more funds after extra batteries, better motors and maybe something better than the dji FC, open for suggestions here even if most tell me to stick to dji. Only limit for the FC is that 400 euro should include all I need like in the DJI package deals.

Last but not least, I wonder how much of an advantage the pancake motors will be, I think a pancake coax setup would look really cool, so again I am open for suggestions on the perfect motor for such a setup which should eventually be able to lift a Nex 5, so rather a healthy supply of powerrr (big fan of Mr. Clarkson), and naturally must be available for purchase in Europe (don't like shipping charges from Asia....)