Sky Hero or RC Timer Trooper (clone)

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I am in the planning stages of building a Y6 and have decided on a Sky Hero Spy http://www.sky-hero.com/Sky-Hero_Spy.html 600mm or the equivalent RC Timer Clone http://rctimer.com/product-1195.html. The Spy lists for $500 and the clone for $180. I'll be moving all electronics over from my DJI F550 w/ 650 arms over to the Y6. Other than power distribution, I will not be using any other functions of the PC board i.e. BEC. This will be my 8th build or major overhaul.

What I am trying to determine is the difference in customer service and perceived quality worth the extra $320? The clone seems to be pin for pin compatible, and it appears the Sky Hero spares will fit on the Trooper should I crash. I will be buying the H3-2D gimbal mount and battery tray from Sky Hero which adds another $140 dollars to the equation.

Honestly I'd rather buy from the originator, but $320 is a significant difference. I am assuming both are using parts made in China, and assembly is done by the customer.

Anyone out there that can provide an quantitative argument as to why I should spend the extra $320?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I would pay the extra 320 bucks for moral reasons alone but that's just me

Ronan

RC Timer sells a lot of junk... Some are good finds but i see a lot of people complaining about missing screws, badly shaped parts, etc...

I also do not like how RC Timer treats its customers on 'that other forum'. I'v seen a few posts which are pretty much insulting their customers that aren't happy with their purchases. Maybe it's just that individual, or just 2-3 cases that i happen to find, IDK.

Morally i wouldn't buy a clone, it's wrong (and you usually get crap product).

Also $500 for just a frame and some 'fancy' shell? If that's the case... i would look elsewhere... Unless it has some fancy integrated boards and what not... If it includes ESC/motors/PB then that's fine.
Edit: I saw their 'option/spare parts' prices... That's a nice big margin!...

Last edited by a moderator:

Amerly

Watch out for low grade motor mount injection moulded parts... SH had a lot of trouble with this in the first place and came with a solution... Also SH have fantastic carbon fiber material and strong fibreglass canopy...

I'm amazed how close this clone is from an actual Spy frame ! And being ''cloned'' sucks big time...

And yes SH frames are very expensive... But so lovely :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Holger

Well, besides the moral aspect I can't fault the trooper y6.
I've got a SK spider 6 and the trooper Y6.
In some regards I actually find the trooper better than the original.
I also changed the motor mounts against aluminium ones, on the sk I use the original v2 reinforced ones..