Signs that esc's have not been calibrated for thrust?

Dixon

Calibration for TX max & min throttle during build?

I purchased a Cinestar 6 with a Wookong flight control system along with six Maytech 45a opto esc's. Unfortunately, the person who built the machine did a very poor job because I have had nothing but problems from the very start. Fortunately, a company named Rotocopter, a helicopter drone company (large scale drones) based here in my home town, helped me get the Cinestar back in flying shape. My question is, since the original builder did such a horrible job with everything else, how can I tell if he performed calibrations for TX max & min throttle on the esc's. I ask this because after flying this morning I noticed that motors 1, 3 and 5 were very warm to the touch and motors 2, 4 and 6 had no warmth at all.

Thanks,
Dixon

Last edited by a moderator:

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Dixon,
I am not familiar with "calibrated for thrust".
ESC are typically calibrated for TX max & min throttle during a build.
The fact that the CW & CCW rotation motors are at different temperatures based on rotation is most likely not related to ESC throttle claibration.
Please post full specifications for your aircraft, but I am suspicious that the CW & CCW props may be part of the issue. If they are not a quality prop, they may be of differing pitch. The problem appears to be related to the CW & CCW motor rotaion as they are odd & even motors acting the same.

Dixon

Thanks Andrew for clearing that up for me. The props that I am currently using are APC 14x5.5 form Quadrocopter. Prior to that I was using APC 14x4.8 Slo Fly. Another issue I am having is when I yaw right 90 degrees, the Cinestar will drift back to the left for about 8 to 10ft at 45 degree angle. When I yaw left 90 degrees, the Cinestar will do the same but to right. In both cases the copter will then right itself by moving to the correct position. This is all going on while in the gps mode. When it is in attitude, it is not nearly as pronounced but still visible. Any thoughts?

Full specs:
Cinestar 6
WookongM
Maytech 45a opto esc'sw (Simon K Firmware)
Tiger Motors - MN 3508-29 (kv:380)
5s-8000mah batteries
AUW 12 lbs

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
Dixon,
Perhaps a video post of how she is acting will spur interest from the forum.
My 1st thought is gains needing some tuning, but this still does not solve the motor temps on odd/ even motors. That kind of drift is very large for a properly tuned WKM.
Motor alignment (vertical) is also a potential issue. With round arm tubes, the motors can easily be bumped to imperfect vertical alignment. This can easily cause both motor temperature problems and yaw drifting.
I would double check the motors for proper vertical alignment & try some more tuning.
Did it act better with the APC props both in temperature & drift? I am assuming you are using the CF props???
The stiffness of CF props can amplify gain & motor alignment problems compared to the forgiving "flex" of Plastic Slo Fly.
These are just a few thoughts, but multicopters are very complex and these types of issues can be related to many different things.
I hope this helps.
Andrew

Dixon

I have adjusted the gains to resolve the looping, not much success, I have tuned the WKM several time with no success and realigned the motors several time but still no success. I changed out the APC 14x4.8 to APC 14x5.5 prop and there was really no difference in drift. I didn't think of checking the motor heat with the Slo Flys. I have also replaced the GPS/Compass puck. Could the looping have anything to do with ESC throttle calibration not being performed in the original build, if that is the case?

Thanks,
Dixon