Tau Labs Showing Off

dankers

I'm not sure how much this will mean to most of you but it shows how well OpenPilot is designed. One of the major parts of building software to do attitude estimation is the algorithm used, as well as good sensors, having a great algorithm is critical.

So lots of projects just take one from elsewhere, a common one is DCM. Several project use this filter as it is very lean and suitable for the low powered 8 bit AVRs microcontrollers that Ardunio based platforms run. As we are using an STM32 which is a 32 bit processor and many time more powerful we can take use this superior power in our filter.

The filter we use was written by James Cotton and we call it 3C. An funny example of what it can do can be seen below. We are trying to use a string to unbalance the quad but it proved a bit resistant due to 3C being so fast, this did not go well...

However, things came right at the end as you will see the Copter staying level despite a almost 45 degree bend in one of the arms! While all of this was a bit of fun, it does show how well the algorithm works in keeping the copter level despite the damage. I know many other boards could not cope with this at all.

To add a bit more to this, we have had people flying Hexas and had an ESC quit in flight, the common myth is that this would cause a flip and a bad crash, in the case with the CopterControl board, the hexa was landed without damage. Its wasn't very flyable but was enough to get it down safely.

Honestly, when I look around at some of the quad forums and they are all trying to line up their motors perfectly and all the little tweaks, after seeing this, it just makes me smile.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok Ok.. its the jobber.. we hear you and see the results.. it just seems amazing that its now available for us all to try and hammer it!

Fantastic.. post all you want here its just great to see so much commitment.. great team work lets hope MRF can assist in a full and numpty testing that only peeps like I can provide!

Dave - Droider (Not to be confused with Dave from the OP peeps)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
if the OP boards solve all our problems, what are we going to talk about? :(:confused::(:confused:

Crash

Defies Psychics
Meh....

I want to see someone toss an CC quad in the air, pick up the radio from the ground, scratch their head at least twice, flip a switch on the radio, and then have the quad park itself in the air. Only then I will be impressed. :cool: :)

Seriously, I would love to get one of these boards in Warthox's hands.

dankers

I want to see someone toss an CC quad in the air,

Well we can't do the rest of it yet, but James does actually throw his quad in the air, then it stablises its self. There is some video of it around somewhere, I will ask him to post.

I have not seen anyone do that before, for sure it could have been done but its cool to see.

Yeah, this video. I just updated it to add an FPV clip too. I'm not happy with the vibration right now - it really limits my PID gains so isn't as stable as Bumblebee V1. You can also tell the FPV is blurred out when the motor starts running.

However I didn't know I needed scratch my head twice after the toss. I need the transmitter because I threw it while it was idling (otherwise it wouldn't have flipped even once). That little thing doesn't quite have the thrust to catch itself easily.

Crash

Defies Psychics
Very nice. My CC board just came in the mail. I have a quad ready to go but no motors. :mad:

Anyone know how long it takes RCTimer to ship?

Yeah, this video. I just updated it to add an FPV clip too. I'm not happy with the vibration right now - it really limits my PID gains so isn't as stable as Bumblebee V1. You can also tell the FPV is blurred out when the motor starts running.

However I didn't know I needed scratch my head twice after the toss. I need the transmitter because I threw it while it was idling (otherwise it wouldn't have flipped even once). That little thing doesn't quite have the thrust to catch itself easily.

Kilby

RCTimer is usually about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks with their total shipping time. Quicker if you pay for the expedited service.

Kilby

Hey Crash, how long did it take for your board to show up? I've got one on order as well and I'm trying to gauge when I should start ripping my copter apart to get it ready for the board. I've got a long weekend coming up and would love to have it ready to fly then, but also don't want to rip it apart now if it's not going to be here till next week.

Crash

Defies Psychics
Hey Crash, how long did it take for your board to show up? I've got one on order as well and I'm trying to gauge when I should start ripping my copter apart to get it ready for the board. I've got a long weekend coming up and would love to have it ready to fly then, but also don't want to rip it apart now if it's not going to be here till next week.

I ordered mine from Chebuzz. It took 1 week via regular mail.

Kilby

Same here. I should see mine this week then. Now the big question I have to answer, should I try and get this installed before we leave town for the long weekend? After watching the OP TV vol 1 video it looks like it's not that hard to get this thing running.

Thanks for the info, Crash!

matwelli

@kilby - if you factor 10 mins for the board swap and programming the setting, allow 30 mins for 2-3 flights of tuning to get it how you want it.

so, if ya have 3 charged batts and 40 minutes spare before the weekend - you are good to go !

Quad_Addict

hopefully mine will be here this week, gotta support the OP guys! HI DAVID
australia-flag-waving-emoticon.gif